What did you do to your zed today?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yesterday, I took my Zed out on the ritual Sainsbury's run first thing - then filled it with Esso's finest and took the scenic route home. I really should have given it a wash, but it's mainly just dusty, so will leave it until next weekend.
I did, however, give the interior a hoover and wipe-down - along with some Gliptone leather treatment.
I also fitted my new tailored floor mats - I'll post a few pics in a separate thread - but I went for these:
Nissan 300ZX 1990-2000 Car Mats - In Stock - £19.99
"Executive" spec, in graphite grey with dark blue nubuck trim. They match the interior perfectly; the graphite grey is close enough to the the OEM carpets and other trim - and the dark blue nubuck is just the right complement to the series 2 alcantara.....
And I have a spare set if anyone is interested. Brand new - say £40 posted? A saving of £23 on buying them from the supplier[emoji41]

Mats sound good - please do post up some pictures when you get the chance [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 10:50, Gaz 300 said:

Nice mats Richard and where is all this dust coming from? I washed our cars on Saturday but it wasn't long before they were covered in dust again.

After getting the new oem top and bottom radiator hoses fitted my Japspeed radiator started to leak! I have had this radiator for six years but only done under 14,000 miles so I sent Japspeed an email to see if they covered it under warranty or would they give me a discount for a new one but they never replied to me so I bought a new one on line the same size and shape as the Japspeed Radiator for a very good price. So hope this one lasts longer than me ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-race-radiator-twin-core-for-Nissan-300zx-Z32-3-0l-twin-turbo-manual-56mm/124560566012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Bad show from Japspeed Gary - but at least you found a replacement for a reasonable price. I bought a Mishimoto one a couple of years back, I can't remember the price, but it's a nice quality item. Having an auto, I had to fit a separate transmission oil cooler, but that was easy enough for my local mechanic.....!

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

On 18/04/2021 at 20:49, naz27 said:

Mats sound good - please do post up some pictures when you get the chance emoji1417.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go Naz.......!

20210424_144726.jpg

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Today I did nothing to my Zed, as I wanted to enjoy the sunshine.... However yesterday I gave it a well deserved wash and wax - and naturally, I took some obligatory pictures?

20210424_144307.jpg

20210424_144324.jpg

20210424_144431(0).jpg

20210424_144506.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/04/2021 at 20:26, RichardS said:

Today I did nothing to my Zed, as I wanted to enjoy the sunshine.... However yesterday I gave it a well deserved wash and wax - and naturally, I took some obligatory pictures?

20210424_144307.jpg

20210424_144324.jpg

20210424_144431(0).jpg

20210424_144506.jpg

Looking nice Richard!

What exhausts do you have on yours? Looking to swap mine out for twin pipes again at some point and they look about the size tailpipe I'd go for

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 10:50, Gaz 300 said:

Nice mats Richard and where is all this dust coming from? I washed our cars on Saturday but it wasn't long before they were covered in dust again.

After getting the new oem top and bottom radiator hoses fitted my Japspeed radiator started to leak! I have had this radiator for six years but only done under 14,000 miles so I sent Japspeed an email to see if they covered it under warranty or would they give me a discount for a new one but they never replied to me so I bought a new one on line the same size and shape as the Japspeed Radiator for a very good price. So hope this one lasts longer than me ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-race-radiator-twin-core-for-Nissan-300zx-Z32-3-0l-twin-turbo-manual-56mm/124560566012?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I had the exact same issue at about the same age, year before last I think. I purchased a generic one from eBay as I wasn’t flush after the new house purchase abs it turned up in a Japspeed box and logos. ?

• WoW 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to starting to get the zed back on the road!

Discs and pads all swapped, front took a while as a lot of dust build up behind the pad anti rattle plates/guides so had to give the calipers a full clean. Also the Mtec replacement discs for K-Sports don't have the small raised lips where the bell mounts to the disc, so had to fit washers to the caliper brackets to push the caliper out by 1mm and centre the disc. The K-Sports were on the car when I got it so didn't come with the bag of shims you normally get with them, but luckily Toolstation came to the rescue!

Oil and filter change done the other day as well as rear discs and pads and handbrake adjustment. Not got much left on the cables so probably need a new set at some point (set handbrake via the rear discs first before the adjuster under the handbrake lever)

Just need to sort indicator bulb, undercoat the exposed brake lines on the back (just had small amount of surface rust as plastic coating has come off) bleed the brakes when I can get some assistance and then give it a bloody good clean (look at the state of those wheels!)

Hope to finally do the full underside refurb this winter but hopefully passes MOT for now

discs.jpg

Edited by Adam D
  • Like 3

On 18/05/2021 at 10:08, Adam D said:

Looking nice Richard!

What exhausts do you have on yours? Looking to swap mine out for twin pipes again at some point and they look about the size tailpipe I'd go for

Cheers Adam...

I have the Mongoose cat-back system. It was very popular back in the early 00s, but I don't think it's available anymore. The next best thing, besides getting one custom made, would be the Quicksilver

Quicksilver Exhaust (Sports system) for 300 ZX Z32 (Twin Turbo) (1989 to 2000) | RTECSHOP.com

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Adam D said:

Finally got round to starting to get the zed back on the road!

Discs and pads all swapped, front took a while as a lot of dust build up behind the pad anti rattle plates/guides so had to give the calipers a full clean. Also the Mtec replacement discs for K-Sports don't have the small raised lips where the bell mounts to the disc, so had to fit washers to the caliper brackets to push the caliper out by 1mm and centre the disc. The K-Sports were on the car when I got it so didn't come with the bag of shims you normally get with them, but luckily Toolstation came to the rescue!

Oil and filter change done the other day as well as rear discs and pads and handbrake adjustment. Not got much left on the cables so probably need a new set at some point (set handbrake via the rear discs first before the adjuster under the handbrake lever)

Just need to sort indicator bulb, undercoat the exposed brake lines on the back (just had small amount of surface rust as plastic coating has come off) bleed the brakes when I can get some assistance and then give it a bloody good clean (look at the state of those wheels!)

Hope to finally do the full underside refurb this winter but hopefully passes MOT for now

discs.jpg

Nice - and are those Funky Si's old wheels by chance.....?

7 minutes ago, RichardS said:

Nice - and are those Funky Si's old wheels by chance.....?

Yes they are, looking to possibly change them as have always had an annoying slow leak from the valves. They have been refurbished at some point so guessing the valves were never refitted correctly. Had them looked at a few times by local places but going to see if a wheel refurbisher can sort the issue, however difficult to find anyone people that will touch split rims nowadays. I spoke to Lepsons a while back who said they still do them.

Hope they can be repaired as I really like the wheels but there are some similar options I've seen if not.

• Like 1

Went for a braw wee drive from Perth to Inverkeithing, then the 'scenic route' around Fife finally ending up in Dundee then back to Perth again ?.

Going to be using her to get back and forward to work this week, really missed driving the Z!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Adam D said:

Picked up new spoiler from Nissan today

Wow, they still turn up in Nissan's inventory! If it is of help, when you come to fit it I can help with "best practice" to stop water getting in and damaging it.

• Like 1

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

2 hours ago, AndrewG said:

Wow, they still turn up in Nissan's inventory! If it is of help, when you come to fit it I can help with "best practice" to stop water getting in and damaging it.

Cheers Andrew that would be great! Hoping to fit that and get body shop to spray it and sort the rust on the arch soonish. Might turn into a big job though as depends how far rust has gone and sideskirts are also bonded on, but may lose those and go back to OEM. 

Was looking into a full respray with colour change but think of just getting those bits sorted for now before they become any worse, as planning for a respray is going to take a while getting stuff such as seals together. Plus I want to try and source a JDM 89 front bumper as mine is a UKDM one with the washer jets smoothed but never been happy with it.

2 hours ago, Gaz 300 said:

Was this from your local Nissan dealer?

It was but they imported it from Amsterdam, thought I'd ask on the off chance the other week and luckily they managed to find one. Was delivered in a few days too!

• Like 2

As you are sticking with '89 OEM F&R losing the sideskirts will restore the car's front to rear side profile below the accent stripe.

Sideskirts also have a nasty habit of disguising rust damage and need to come off to access and repair anyway.

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

2 hours ago, AndrewG said:

As you are sticking with '89 OEM F&R losing the sideskirts will restore the car's front to rear side profile below the accent stripe.

Sideskirts also have a nasty habit of disguising rust damage and need to come off to access and repair anyway.

The previous owner did a decent job fitting them but like you say the can hide rust. The plan has always been to remove them for the full respray as want it standard 89 JDM spec body and glass.

They look ok-ish but do match a 99 spec front bumper better with the front corner profile, they are the Car Mad ones that were about a while back

20151001_143111.thumb.jpg.7797fb873ce5facbb6efe2e77d145a9d.jpg

• Like 3

On 03/06/2021 at 21:27, Adam D said:

Zed passed MOT!

Hopefully get to enjoy the sun this weekend with the t-tops off ☀️

IMG_20210603_165927.jpg

Nice one Adam - and your car is looking very tidy indeed mate....!

I have done nothing to mine since Sunday......

....When I gave it a good wash and wax, after a week's holiday in Cornwall. We only covered about 700 miles last week instead of the usual 1,000 - but it was good to get away; and even better to give the Zed a decent blast. 

Pictures to follow.....?