Lots of white smoke when revving engine

Hmmm something bad seems to have happened with the replacement engine I got fitted

There didn't appear to be any problem when I picked the car up.

The engine sounds OK and it seems to run OK however when I drove it back yesterday my friend who was following me said it was smoking a lot just from the near side exhaust but I didn't notice as the car felt like it was running fine

This seems to have gotten worse today when ticking over the nearside ehxaust is 'splutterring' a bit like there is an intermittent misfire on that side and when you rev it you get copious amounts of white smoke from that exhaust - and I mean plenty of it!!

I popped to the garage across the road and they had a look and revved it quite a bit and said they thought it was a turbo but could not explain the splutterring so then they said it could be 'just about anything' which wasn't very helpful

I parked up outside the house for 15 mins and then asked the missus to rev the car so i could put some video up here and now it seems to be smoking a lot from both exhausts like it just got worse in those 15 mins

The guy from next door came out (who also runs a garage) and claimed it is both turbos because if you compress the intercooler pipes with your fingers then rev the engine it should force the pipes back out again against your fingers. You do feel a little pressure 'kick' when holding the intercooler pipes compressed and revving but he says it is not enough

I'm not sure this guy knows what he is talking about or not but I must admit when you rev the engine the guage on the boost controller does not go positive it goes from -70 to about 0. I would have to run the car on the road and watch the guage to be certain

Any suggestions please, no doubt when I take the car the few miles to Trentham on Sunday (so it can sit there looking pretty even if it is turned off so it don't smoke) I will have 19 more opinions as to what is wrong with my car now :huh: so I may as well ask here first

I'll upload the video if I can remember my youtube login lol

Rich

Edited by dicky96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm something bad seems to have happened with the replacement engine I got fitted

There didn't appear to be any problem when I picked the car up.

The engine sounds OK and it seems to run OK however when I drove it back yesterday my friend who was following me said it was smoking a lot just from the near side exhaust but I didn't notice as the car felt like it was running fine

This seems to have gotten worse today when ticking over the nearside ehxaust is 'splutterring' a bit like there is an intermittent misfire on that side and when you rev it you get copious amounts of white smoke from that exhaust - and I mean plenty of it!!

I popped to the garage across the road and they had a look and revved it quite a bit and said they thought it was a turbo but could not explain the splutterring so then they said it could be 'just about anything' which wasn't very helpful

I parked up outside the house for 15 mins and then asked the missus to rev the car so i could put some video up here and now it seems to be smoking a lot from both exhausts like it just got worse in those 15 mins

The guy from next door came out (who also runs a garage) and claimed it is both turbos because if you compress the intercooler pipes with your fingers then rev the engine it should force the pipes back out again against your fingers. You do feel a little pressure 'kick' when holding the intercooler pipes compressed and revving but he says it is not enough

I'm not sure this guy knows what he is talking about or not but I must admit when you rev the engine the guage on the boost controller does not go positive it goes from -70 to about 0. I would have to run the car on the road and watch the guage to be certain

Any suggestions please, no doubt when I take the car the few miles to Trentham on Sunday (so it can sit there looking pretty even if it is turned off so it don't smoke) I will have 19 more opinions as to what is wrong with my car now :huh: so I may as well ask here first

I'll upload the video if I can remember my youtube login lol

Rich

Edited by dicky96

I little burst of whie smoke on start up which clears after 5 secs or so

Then ticks over fine (1k pretty much hear as damn it) but with a little 'splutter' on the nearside exhaust

Nothing really happens below 2k then copious amounts of smoke by 3k

This is with revving the car while stationary

It's much worse on the nearside exhast than the offside one

I would describe the smoke as greyish white now I had another look and there is a smell of oil about the smoke

I'll take it on the road tommorow see what the boost guages are saying plus the BOVs make plenty of noise lol

Rich

Edited by dicky96

I little burst of whie smoke on start up which clears after 5 secs or so

Then ticks over fine (1k pretty much hear as damn it) but with a little 'splutter' on the nearside exhaust

Nothing really happens below 2k then copious amounts of smoke by 3k

This is with revving the car while stationary

It's much worse on the nearside exhast than the offside one

I would describe the smoke as greyish white now I had another look and there is a smell of oil about the smoke

I'll take it on the road tommorow see what the boost guages are saying plus the BOVs make plenty of noise lol

Rich

Edited by dicky96