2014 work in progress

Some of you may know I have an FB page documenting my progress, but since a few don't have/want FB, I'm going to start uploading pics here too as I get time.

As I've said before, not competing this year, time is being focussed on family and home projects, both of which I largely ignored last year! I also enjoy modifying and developing the car as much as driving it, so can tinker away at it through the year, so don't expect fast progress.

Open for discussion, criticism etc :)

Edited by jaffa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Main goals were to lose more weight from the car, fix some gremlins, and generally make it more track orientated

Winter started with a rewire, from what was an already trimmed loom.

This lot went in the bin

1386081109540_zpsps8xsrh1.jpg

These arrived

IMAG0803_zpsqzzli8bf.jpg

cue lots of winter nights starting at wires, diagrams and crimping!

IMAG0846_zpsrz73cjnw.jpg

IMAG0846_zpsrz73cjnw.jpg

IMAG0851_zpsibwt0f09.jpg

IMAG0899_zpstakkq5qz.jpg

IMAG1013_zpssfdexomi.jpg

My old bumper was worse for wear after my incident last year, CarMad made me a new light weight one

IMAG0806_zpsclkdqtvp.jpg

unpacked

IMAG0807_zpsbn8zuyzm.jpg

pick these up cheap from another forum

IMAG0755_zpsyywpps2p.jpg

Lip attached

IMAG1134_zpstbyp6o5d.jpg

cannards attached

IMAG1135_zpszbiqvu3f.jpg

IMAG1136_zpsoplq8zyq.jpg

and wings attached (which is giving me other ideas

IMAG1206_zpsodtyzrdw.jpg

In the last pic you can also see the shell I picked up from HellRaiser, that was a fun morning and thanks to Z32Bolt for lending a hand. The shell will be used as a donor to fix my rear qtr at some stage

Decided to drop down to an 18" wheel since there are better track tire choices available and to save a weight. Finding a lightweight wheel that fitted over my brakes was a mission, settled on these Enkei's. 18x10 all round, and a pair of 17x9.5 for drag racing

Old set vs new

IMAG1067_zpspmofto5f.jpg

Still very tight, had to grind off a lip to stop them catching the caliper.

IMAG1028_zpswuqahegt.jpg

IMAG1029_zps0pqf42g0.jpg

and having new brake bells and caliper mounts made to move the brakes further inboard.

fitted (with no brakes)

IMAG1079_zps6o0sqrlw.jpg

I bought an angle grinder, how did I survive before that! Various brackets removed, holes in the boot etc

IMAG1109_zpspnvcppny.jpg

1396705639781_zpsxzb0k5cu.jpg

found a space for the new oil tank

IMAG1114_zpskby6toto.jpg

here's the matching sump test fitted to an old block

IMAG0666_zpsoo5bjhbt.jpg

IMAG0667_zpsuqcpnfpj.jpg

also had to fab a mount for dry sump pump using the AC mount

IMAG0715_zpslmxeeawy.jpg

IMAG0721_zps3f8yet0h.jpg

IMAG0718_zpsstaufy3a.jpg

New mount is being made out of billet based on the original hack job!

and finally, some cooling updates

Naca ducts for air coming in

IMAG1125_zpshenp1jrq.jpg

mounting them

IMAG1167_zpscgyn9np7.jpg

IMAG1168_zps65mmlmg0.jpg

IMAG1169_zps8uiuwaho.jpg

IMAG1170_zpsx44w9yxf.jpg

IMAG1171_zps9i209qey.jpg

rinse and repeat for other side

IMAG1173_zpsfubcyvv4.jpg

IMAG1174_zpsz41ywyyo.jpg

air goes out here

IMAG1179_zpsfxbbosb0.jpg

and mocking up new rad position and size

IMAG1138_zps3wpmvlyo.jpg

IMAG1139_zps2rdvtdu0.jpg

This rad is on order, twin 16" fans, double pass with oil cooler in the other end tank

1A-4043.jpg

Liking the pics. I take it the bumper and wings off the car were making you think of a removable front end for ease of working on your zed?

pretty much, it's a nice idea, and I've figured how to do it with just 2 more attachment points beyond the bonnet aerocatches. Downside is that it will need 2 people to remove safely

Oooo please do a lift off front :) how was the removal of the bonnet support simple yet effective.

simple enough, don't recommend for general use as it's a floppy thing now, weighs nothing as a result so a success for my intentions

pretty much, it's a nice idea, and I've figured how to do it with just 2 more attachment points beyond the bonnet aerocatches. Downside is that it will need 2 people to remove safely

Will you do a 'how to' on it? Used to have one on my mini and it was brilliant for getting around the engine to find any leaks (not that minis are hard to work on) also saved a lot of headaches from smashing my head on the bonnet

Also couldn't you put struts/hinges on it so you can flip it if by yourself?

Edited by Wilks88

Nice work Jaffa and great pictures. Had a second 300 few years back intending to do similar, as coombe race track is just up the road thought it be fun to track day, but running a business and having young family and doing house up time just isn't available.

I see your in Bath area so must be close to me, am about 2 mile from bathford/batheaston near Village of Box.

Wouldn't mind having a look some time if that's ok, it might tempt me to find that extra time..,lol

Nice work Jaffa and great pictures. Had a second 300 few years back intending to do similar, as coombe race track is just up the road thought it be fun to track day, but running a business and having young family and doing house up time just isn't available.

I see your in Bath area so must be close to me, am about 2 mile from bathford/batheaston near Village of Box.

Wouldn't mind having a look some time if that's ok, it might tempt me to find that extra time..,lol

welcome to pop in, I'm on the batheaston side of the A46/A4 roundabout, so very close :)

Will you do a 'how to' on it? Used to have one on my mini and it was brilliant for getting around the engine to find any leaks (not that minis are hard to work on) also saved a lot of headaches from smashing my head on the bonnet

Also couldn't you put struts/hinges on it so you can flip it if by yourself?

I could, but I don't think it'll be suitable for most Zeds, I have pretty much nothing behind the bumper area so lots of space. Hinges will add weight and have to be special/complex to avoid catching the splitter with minimal ground clearance

• 3 weeks later...