Veilside's work in progress

Thought I would start a working thread for my labour of love (on a shoestring budget!)....

Well going to go and buy some stud removers from machine Mart tomorrow to sort the snapped stud problem when removing the test pipes to replace the transmission. Then get a new stud from SEF.

The Transmission is now mated with engine successfully and split rear mount temporarily fitted for testing purposes only as I had to order a Nismo one from the USA as they could get it here in a week thank god!

Filling with Dexron III tomorrow, but waiting till later in the year to replace the Transmission sump with the old one that has the drain plug fitted.

Also need to look at changing the diff lubricant while I am underneath.

Stripping starter motor tomorrow and reconditioning the old one, as it occasionally doesn't engage properly.

I am going for the straight through exhaust I picked up from Richie by the looks of it until my stainless tips are replaced with longer ones to clear rear bumper, just need to learn to weld stainless to do it.

Tomorrow is polish up the rear boxes day and try to get her back together as running out of time before JAE.

I still have to wrap the boot lid after I weld the spoiler and wiper holes up, (as I am saving up for next years paint job), fit audio back in after re-furbishing the subwoofers, stripping off veilside side skirts and fitting the new ones, removing all 4 wheels and cleaning the properly, stripping O/S/R arms and hub for refurb and refitting, plus a damn good clean, polish and sealant.

I was bringing a friend to JAE, but have told him I'm no longer going so he could go camping with his family as they were pressuring him and I was feeling the pressure to release him from his promise to come.

So aiming for driving up Thursday evening about 5pm for a 3 hr drive or Friday morning early, leaving at 5am early.

Getting music sorted already for a long drive!

Gonna be weird now I have given up smoking, as I always enjoyed a cigarette or 20 on long drives, 4 months on and it is getting easier after 31 years of tobacco!

Right to bed for an early start.......

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sitting her looking at these pictures trying to decide if I should carefully remove side skirts and store away in loft........ or smash them off to make it easier to remove them.....lol

Did you keep the Veilside front bumper?

how did you get it up on those blocks ? does it levitate with the vileside side skirts lol

If it did levitate they would be staying on..... lol

I jack up front and slide the 1/2 of the blocks under, then repeat for the rear and then repeat, locking in the other 1/2 of the blocks...... like giant lego / jenga.... lol

It makes it just high enough to slide out gearbox, it's level and extremely stable to work on.... better than jacks when working underneath for long periods....

Only draw back is not being able to remove wheels, suspension, steering, etc...

Did you build the blocks yourself?

Yep Lee, 2x4 and a few 4x2 thrown in..... I built them for welding the sill as I wanted it sat on all 4 wheels, so when I cut out the rot there was no twisting where it was jacked up unevenly....

They are very handy for things like exhausts, underbody sealing, servicing engine like oil changes / diff / gearbox, etc....

If anyone is taking out a few stud walls and has spare off cuts or lengths, perfect instead of in the skip...... save the planet and build these instead...... lol

And it is good for practicing your Jenga moves..... lol

Well I am getting her back together slowly....

Starter rebuilt and fitted

Exhaust nearly finished

Diff oil changed

Should be running again tomorrow.... fingers crossed as long as the transmission I fitted is all okay...... and I did it right..... lol

Pictures to follow tomorrow......

Edited by veilside01702

Outside early and hit another problem.... The 2 bolt flange on the replacement exhaust has been buckled and is banana shaped....

My neighbours must love me trying to straighten it at 9.45 with a lump hammer...... It was like church bells, or at least I tried to make it sound like that in case anyone complained..... lol

Anyway..... The exhaust is now on and as straight as a lump hammer and straight edge will allow on a Sunday morning..... May have another go later today with some heat added....... lol

Off the do bolts on transmission to engine and fluid top up....

Testing when battery is recharged again.....

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

FullSizeRender-10.jpg

FullSizeRender-11.jpg

FullSizeRender-12.jpg

Edited by veilside01702

Tonight in the dark I fitted my new fog lights thanks to Mr. F. (MJP- Eastern Auto) sorting me out a nice new pair of front sections to replace my worn out pair.... :thumb up:

As most of the work is by feel alone behind the bumper it made it easier I think.... lol

Sorted out water leak in boot after I found a large hole behind the rear light unit, where some muppet repaired the rear panel where the lights fit into with half a ton of filler and only spot welded in an old section of a donor car....

I will need to dig all this out at a later date when I get the bodywork sorted...... Till then it has had some polyurethane coating and filling to stop my boot filling with water when it rains..... and I mean fill.... lol

Speakers refitted in their holes after having new foam surrounds replaced by me as they split last JAE.... I was saved by Ian (vodkashots) and his special glue last year.... it lasted months as a temporary fix..... cheers Ian....

Tomorrow is test transmission fluid day and book her in at work for a full brake fluid change........ Hopefully the BMW mechanics at work can do it for me for a reasonable price....:scared::pinch::crying:

Well going out to check fluid level on the Z's auto box....... I have warmed her up the other day, gone through the gears a few times, moved her off the drive and back onto driveway and then it poured down with rain...

I have put 4.5 to 5 litres in so far as I spilt a funnels worth..... damn flexi funnels.....my plenum took the brunt of it.... took a few boiled kettles to remove it..... lol

I am just going to check dipstick from cold and see if it is reading......

I know it is 8.5 litres in total, but not sure if anything was left in the transmission when I drained it....

So here goes.....

well checked and appears to be too much???

Dipped and cleaned dipstick 6 times and it appears to be at the top of the measurement part.....??

The torque converter was removed and drained..... Does it take a while to circulate round and refill it?

I used some of the 5 Ltrs to prime the torque converter before reinserting into the box..... as much as it would take......

There must have been some dexron still in the box......

Do I warm her up and go though the gears again and retest???

i don't have much experience of auto boxes.........