• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after a very long, dry, safe and cosy sleep since the beginning of this global pandemic she’s waiting for an MOT. 

Posted Images

The Zed, still has what it takes then Stephen?

I’m giving myself a year. I don’t want to get rid of it on a whim and regret it. I also don’t want to sell it to try and sit on the money till I find something I want because I know realistically il spend the money on the house and I won’t get it back as a liquid asset. I’ve driven the zed and the beemer back to back today, which is a first and each has thier merits.

I’d like a re-run of that tale, but with the ride height raised to a point where it doesn’t scrape on your driveway and all the rose jointed suspension malarkeys removed and replaced with compliant rubber alternatives (with the coilover settings softened). I think the ride will be more useable and enjoyable on the street, I’d go as far to say it will feel more planted because of the less skippy and crashy ride. It will feel more refined for the most part of the average usage and maybe not make you cringe at the initial usability.

I would suggest having a system fabricated which operated a couple of bypass valves to feed your exhaust through a silencer each side that can be operated by a switch in the cabin. That way you can be less obnoxious through town but still enjoy the drama and noise on the country lanes. These systems are quite common now so a reliable system shouldn’t cost the earth to install.

Regarding the seating position, have you fully experimented with the 8 way adjustable drivers seat to lower it all the way?

I appreciate you use this car on the track and can see the merits of a track weapon when utilised, but that does bring heavy compromises, especially when starting to critique a compare the ride quality to your daily drive, but I still believe that a well sorted GT car can be every bit as fun on the twisty country lanes.

I reduced the spring rate to 6kg front 4kg rear which as you say did make the car far less skippy, gave more traction off the line and really made the car much more real world friendly. Compared to before it’s incredibly planted.

I’d knock it up a bit but it’s not as simple as that, as you know every action has a reaction and adjustment of the ride height will effect the geometry, again...it’s low but it’s not mental, it can take an average speed bump and doesn’t scrub with just me in the car.

I’ve considered cutting out the X section and fitting a resonator. Take some drone away and drop a few dB. Where I live is very quiet and I do feel like I’m going to wake the dead when I start it up. It’s actually not LOUD it’s just loud compared to normal cars.

I’ve got the series 2 full electric seats, I think it’s just newer cars the door is higher. But I do feel I’m sat about 2” too high up.

Sadly it’s not hit an official track yet, something has wrong before each opportunity. I think this is part of the issue, it’s got to be used to be enjoyed. That’s a viscous circle of not using and subsequently loosing enthusiasm, I don’t really enjoy turning spanners it’s a bus mans holiday. What I enjoy is driving.

• 11 months later...

After lots of thought, backwards and forwards on the idea I’ve made a decision on the cars future. It’s not essentially the choice I would of liked to have made in the ideal world and I’ll explain that as I go, the important part is I’m keeping it.

The other cars I would of liked or that may of been a happy compromise just have to many negatives or too larger financial implications, for example I’ve looked a Z4 coupe, beautiful car but due to being newer the monthly cost of insurance and tax is significantly higher, I’ve looked at a few chunks of classic American metal, whilst the running cost and maintenance is lower they aren’t a cheap intial outlay these days and realistically to make one into what I want we’re talking about a full rebuild and move to a hot rod really. So whilst my Z32 isn’t everything I’d like it to be and lacks that 8 cylinder sound track it’s a good compromise all round for a list of things that aren’t together unless I go and spend £30k, about what you’d pay for a nice Corvette, which is the cost of the extension planned to the house...

So what’s the plan then, around this ramble.

Full exterior refresh, this will include some subject mods that will upset some but the end package will be what I want. The refresh will include a colour change, I never wanted a red one, colour change will be kept quiet.

Thoughts? Maybe you’ve an idea to facilitate a cheap respray?

Thoughts? Maybe you’ve an idea to facilitate a cheap respray?

There are alays people in the motortrade who will do cheap resprays. A quick mask up. DA sand over and blow some paint on.

A good respray is another matter altogether.

To do a good colour change is a long tedious process if you want it done properly ie engine bay, inside returns on all panels etc.

And long tedious process end up expensive.

this will include some subject mods that will upset some but the end package will be what I want.

In the real world nobody gives a toss what you do. Its your car to modify however you want.

JFDI.

The z32 300zx has a unique position in the classic car/performance car ownership in that you have a car that in my opinion has the best smiles per mile than any other in its price bracket. You will not find anything better unless you spend a lot of money so yes keep the Z Stephen.

There are alays people in the motortrade who will do cheap resprays. A quick mask up. DA sand over and blow some paint on.

A good respray is another matter altogether.

To do a good colour change is a long tedious process if you want it done properly ie engine bay, inside returns on all panels etc.

And long tedious process end up expensive.

In the real world nobody gives a toss what you do. Its your car to modify however you want.

JFDI.

The objective is to get something presentable, it’s no show pony and I’ve no interest in creating a show car. I’m looking a solid non metallic with the shuts done. Engine bay can be done at a later date then the engines out for one reason or another. So realistically it’s exterior panels tailgate and door shuts.

The JFDI is quite apt, il remind you of that at one point.

The objective is to get something presentable, it’s no show pony and I’ve no interest in creating a show car. I’m looking a solid non metallic with the shuts done. Engine bay can be done at a later date then the engines out for one reason or another. So realistically it’s exterior panels tailgate and door shuts.

The JFDI is quite apt, il remind you of that at one point.

I like that plan.:thumbup1:

Solid colour is a cheaper route paintwise. It allows the use of 2K gloss straight outta the gun. No need for lacquer.

• 1 year later...