My daughter calls it Toothless the Dragon: My ‘95 TT Z

nickz32

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress...

Wings, bonnet and boot lid got their first coat of primer. A few little defects became apparent that needed sorting, but they should be in colour this weekend. Winfactory spoiler fitted beautifully. Once the sealant has fully cured on the leading edge, that’ll be flatted back. I didn’t want the spoiler moulded into the boot as I like the definition of spoiler on the boot lid.

6B4A5061-E5C4-483A-8319-2BFA63575C48.jpg

D91B906A-3678-427E-97AA-36FC2AA8F660.jpg

22D9D7B0-7EA6-4FC2-B0CC-C4B947685500.jpg

61D1EF80-478F-460F-AC3A-79B8E6AB77F1.jpg

First bits of my dual intake arrived this week. Just waiting on the silicon elbows and I’ll be able to test fit everything before the bumper goes back on

0C82D6E0-77F6-4243-B60C-CD5856052845.jpg

Also made a start on cleaning some of the interior parts ready to go back in the car. The later style cloth can be a royal pain for holding onto grime deep in the material. Nothing a bit of APC, microfibres and patience cant solve

C56D3721-FD05-4FB3-8813-BC28A60870B1.jpg

89996BBF-1FD7-4CFA-A2E4-C812C20632E1.jpg

Well the WinFactory CSL-R is on!

6726F7BD-D56E-436B-9887-0C9E44B42348.jpg

Unfortunately, as with most after market fibreglass parts, there is a fitment issue.

96B38B9E-909D-4A96-B33F-4F86D80B31EC.jpg

As you can just about see, the bottom edge of the spoiler doesn’t follow the curve of the top of the rear lights. Having spoken to WinFactroy, it appears to be a issue when fitting to 2+2 hatches that they haven’t publicised.

Quite how I’m going to rectify this problem I’m not too sure, all I know is today turned into quite an anti-climax

Sorry to see and hear Nick. You seemed quite pissed off when you sent me the pics earlier. Not too sure what to suggest other than live with it for a while. You'll be like me though I think and will always be looking at it.

Have a think about a TwinZ Type 1 or 2 later in the year. Get it back together and think a little more about it once it's all assembled, on the road and you're enjoying it,

Sorry to see and hear Nick. You seemed quite pissed off when you sent me the pics earlier. Not too sure what to suggest other than live with it for a while. You'll be like me though I think and will always be looking at it.

Have a think about a TwinZ Type 1 or 2 later in the year. Get it back together and think a little more about it once it's all assembled, on the road and you're enjoying it,

Good advice.

You seemed quite pissed off when you sent me the pics earlier.

More disappointment. I think you gear yourself up for your car to be perfect for the first time in a looooong time and, through no fault of your own, you have to accept that isn’t going to happen

More disappointment I think you gear yourself up for your car to be perfect for the first time in a looooong time and through no fault of your own you have to accept that isn’t going to happen

Never is mate. Mine needs another polish, but it's pretty much as I'd hoped. I remember when I was less impressed with previous work and it does hit you in the chest a bit. Luckily, it's just the spoiler and end of the tailgate rather than the entire car as I was faced with once....twice actually, but one particular time I was really down about it. When you finally get it to the right level though, it's a great feeling. Taken me forever! Still a few tweaks I need with the suspension to be 100% as good as I'll get it.

Just hang in there.

As already mentioned, if you want help reassembling it, do let me know. More than happy to give up a Saturday or Sunday for a good cause. :)

Dropped into the bodyshop this morning....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110245[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110246[/ATTACH]

First coat of primer has identified a couple of defects that weren’t previously noticed. They should be easy to sort out before next coat of primer and final prep for base coat of Super Black KH3

Also lined up the WinFactory spoiler. While it fits perfectly across the top and sides, a significant gap is apparent where the bottom edge of the boot is, where the Perspex strip would have lived

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110247[/ATTACH]

Having spoken to Winfactory, this gap is intentional as the spoiler was designed to go over the top of the third brake light panel. A window seal type gasket has been suggested to close that gap, I’m not so sure that’s the best long term option, neither is filling it with filler.

Time for a ponder

Sorry to hear this Nick, I was the same when I test fit the Twinz Type 2, It really is a gut wrenching moment when I saw the gap, fortunately the guys mentioned the trims to me also:thumbup1: was going to mention the boot trims but I see the guys got in ahead of me. Car looks fantastic, love a high gloss black. Is the CSL-R really that bad on the boot?? Would it be that noticeable?? It's rare to see one :thumbup1:.

Yeah, it’s pretty noticeable. It’s a tough one to photograph as the things so dam shiney!

Without the hatch sitting on the boot seal, it exacerbates the problem by another 5mm or so, but this shows the level of gap I’m talking about

54D68683-9038-402D-A186-2A2F60B14997.jpg

Hoping to sort a solution in the next couple of days

Edited by nickz32

Cheers Rich.

At the moment I think completely binning off the spoiler is the absolute last option. Going to speak to the bodyshop tomorrow and see if we can remove it safely and reassess if it can be fitted in a manner that I’ll be happy with. Quite how we can remove it without damaging it is an unknown at the moment, but I can’t keeo it as it is.

Quite how we can remove it without damaging it is an unknown at the moment, but I can’t keeo it as it is.

Nick, for what it's worth I removed my old OEM '89 spoiler which was fixed to the tailgate with spots of Sikaflex using a fully extended snap

off knife and WD-40 as a lubricant. I just worked my way along in a sawing fashion. The spoiler was undamaged with some minor nicking to

the tailgate. As your spoiler is fiberglass the blade should just stay between the two surfaces.

149464_2_.jpg

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

I was thinking along the same lines. I’m not sure how much bonding agent has been used, hopefully it’s just a bead around the edges, but I got the impression from the bodyshop that they’ve bonded it in a manner that it shouldn’t ever come off

Can you not add to it and build the back up? You’re going to need to respray the spoiler/spoiler whatever you do. May aswell look at building it up before ripping it off as it does look good.

I think that’s looking like a viable option. Having spoken to him again today, he has strongly advised trying to remove it. It’s looking more viable to try and reshape that bottom part of the lip by cutting, flaring and re fibregalssing that area into the shape we want.

On a plus side, I fitting my dual intake today. A pair of 90 degree bends from ASH and a couple of Z32 MAF adapter plates, a pair of Apexi filters and bingo...

0894A437-3CE4-4320-8EAA-5E5913CACD54.jpg