Old Member Needs Advice - None starter after gets slightly warm

Afternoon all! It's been a while (about 3 years i think!) :) Hope you're all keeping well.

Well the poor old slicktop died on me nearly 4 years ago, down to 3 cylinders then stopped.

Realised the cat had collapsed so fitted a replacement exhaust section (with cats drilled through), blocked off the recirc pipes, removed AIV and rerouted vacuum tubes

Car started but failed to rev and had missfire on rev on right bank

Used ecutalk, right hand O2 sensor all over the place

Finally got round to removed said O2 sensor, found new one was threaded so finally this weekend managed to get time to clean and straighten the thread, got it in.

Car started after a bit of churning, idles fine from cold

Then cut out

Lots of churning, managed to get it to restart then cut out again

Finally when warm would just turn over and over, no coughs etc like the fuel was cut off

Left it overnight, tried again the next day, started, idled fine, revved fine, again got warm after a couple of mins and then coughed and died.

Just spins with no coughs when slightly warm.

I've double and triple checked the vacuum lines are going to the correct parts of the engine but no luck.

I'm on the verge of junking the engine and fitting an NA just to get it back on the road after 4 years of it being dead(!)

Any ideas guys?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Nick. :)

If your car has been sat for a while, go through every connector thoroughly. All coil pack connectors, all injector connectors and the MAF connector. Once they're all clean if anything is misfiring try to go through an isolation process of swapping coil packs and spark plugs around.

Also check the ampage of the injectors using a multimeter.

Hey Buddy, good to see you floating around still.

I’d say back to basics on this one. When you say it cuts out, does it misfire or anything or does it simply drop revs until stall?

What do the plugs look like? Sooty? Wet? Normal? (Checking if you have good spark)

When cold does it run on all 6?

When it does run warm, does it run on all 6?

Bubbles in the coolant when it’s running/sweet smelling exhaust fumes or any other symptoms of HG failure?

Fuel supply- is it getting what it should? Pop of the return hose and hook a hose up into petrol container. Put 12v to the pump for 60 seconds and measure the amount of fuel delivered. Multiply by 60 and you’ll get your l/ph (should be around 250lph for a OE pump from memory). Anything less, you’ve got a supply problem, so look at the filter then the pump

Fuel Pressure- see if you can get a fuel pressure gauge from somewhere. Pressure should be around 34psicat idle with the vac hose connected to the FPR, 43.5psi with it connected.

You can take on board what advice you are given but i'll say you need to do a compression test, my guess is it'll be 'down' and i believe this to be your starting issue when it's warm/hot, of course i hope i am wrong and it turns out your engine is strong.

Fuel in the tank is 4 years old but did chuck some new petrol in the other day. As i say it runs when the car's cold but then doesn't take more than a couple of mins before it suddenly stops. The only thing i could think of that kicks in is the valve on the back of the plenum but it's been that long since i worked on a zed I can't remember most of the tricks.

Was going to pop the fuel line off on the intake, pull the fuse, crank it to take th pressure off then check i have pressure when it's warm.

The only horrible thing I did find is a mild hissing from the driver's side when it cuts out but could be anything internally or externally it was hard to tell.

Anyway back to the basics, plugs out, etc and i'll have to raid the old silver na zed at my dad's for parts to test with and see if any of those make a difference

I did pop a screwdriver to the injectors and they were all clicking when it was running.