• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Weird brake issue...

Hi, I'm having a weird issue with noises like loose bake pads clanking, abs coming on when creeping to a stop, feeling on brake catch before the others.....

I have had both front wheels off and nothing appears loose, pads seem okay, all suspension seems fine, yet it isn't right.....

Today I got the ABS kick in as I stopped and a boing noise from the ABS pump in the back....

Brakes seem to work fine until the last minute when slowing gradually...... If I stamp on them at 30mph they stop, No ABS issue until it gets to under 10mph.....

You can feel the pads on one side grab the disc before the others.....

I had the ABS light come on earlier, but no flashing LED from ECU.....?

I have new discs and pads to fit.....

Anyone got some advice where to start?

Reluctor ring, sensor, fluid, calliper / piston sticking???????

Cheers

Watching my Z disintegrate on my driveway!!!

Cheers Trev..... I had one go when I first got the Z.... but that was about 17 years ago and couldn't remember the symptoms....

Just looked and found the rings are NLA now.....

Anyone know where to get all 4?

soz mate my fone did auto correct was supposed to read abs ring. but guessed you sussed it out. I've edited it now.. yeah I think it is possibly abs ring.

Well after stripping front wheels off I have found a few problems. OSF disc is worn more than NSF, pads look okay but OSF has a groove in it from disc lip. Checked NSF Caliper and 2 pistons sticking, one on either pad.... Caliper in bits now and fitting new pistons, seals, dust covers and clips.....

Once refitted it will be the new discs and pads going on.....

Then bleeding whole system again....

Hopefully it was dodgy Caliper causing abs to kick in.....

PROBLEM PERSISTS!!!!..... Grrrrr

Still can feel one calliper grabbing when stopping and last to release as i pull away..... You can feel it through the pedal...... a sort of clonk as if pads stuck to rotor....

No issues when braking, not pulling and stops fine, just the last few mph till full stop....

So looks like it must be the rear callipers.....??

Can't think of anything else on the fronts as the callipers are now working fully, new discs, new pads, new fluid flushed through, brake system bled twice to make sure all air is gone....

Anyone else got any idea's please??

Hi Jeff, I Replaced the hoses last year with new braided Goodridge ones.

It isn't the rear callipers as I can feel the problem through the steering wheel and brake pedal.

I will try and get it to my MOT tester to see if they can find which side is causing the problem....

I had an idea yesterday..... I had a front bearing pressed in last year.... is it possible it isn't fully pressed in and making the front brake disc off centre, causing one pad to make contact before the other on a calliper?

only thing I can think of.......???

Hi AndrewG, I checked all shims present, all lubed up with Ceratec brake lube on pins and contact points....

Hi Stephen, checked handbrake and all okay, adjusted a while ago....

Thanks for all the help..... this is proving to be a guess, check and rule out mission......

Hi AndrewG, I checked all shims present, all lubed up with Ceratec brake lube on pins and contact points....

And the pad retainers?

"Clip on one shim retaining clip to the pad, with the hole side going on the pad side & the long part running across the top edge of the pad (the smaller side) as a shim between the pad and the caliper top or bottom. This stops the forward/backward clunks noises from the brakes."

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/brakestech.html

1632756191_IsaoSono300ZXZ32s30thcompactwhitebg.jpg.927186fb96ce93f9d57642837cfd17d2.jpg

If you cant see anything with the brakes check your suspension to make sure there is no movement at any of the mountings. The other thing to double check is the lower suspension arm for fractures around the mounting to the tension rod. Not long after I got my Z I started to notice a clunk when braking at low speed, I could also feel it through the steering. It would happen coming to rest then on initially pulling away. When I checked it out the tension rod was almost detached from the arm. Worth having a look just in case, not easy to see from above though but I could easily feel the fracture when I checked mine.

This was a bit of an issue years ago with some early aftermarket tension rod bushes not allowing enough movement.

Russ...Probably unrelated...but recently I had a ‘similar’ issue where as you put the brakes on and off while moving slowly I got a thump through the pedal.

I took the front wheels off to inspect…. as it felt to me as though either the pads, or the caliper itself was loose and moving as the pads grabbed the disc.

Inspection revealed that all was as it should be...but the problem persisted and got more noticeable....so I took it to a mechanic friend of mine who observed/felt the issue braking on and off at 5-10 mph around the car park....eventually identifying the problem by lying on the ground as I drove the car towards him...braking on and off.

The issue was down to two loose bolts securing the offside front lower control arm.

Bolts tightened….thump/grab gone!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] "Exaggeration is the enemy of credibility"

If you cant see anything with the brakes check your suspension to make sure there is no movement at any of the mountings. The other thing to double check is the lower suspension arm for fractures around the mounting to the tension rod. Not long after I got my Z I started to notice a clunk when braking at low speed, I could also feel it through the steering. It would happen coming to rest then on initially pulling away. When I checked it out the tension rod was almost detached from the arm. Worth having a look just in case, not easy to see from above though but I could easily feel the fracture when I checked mine.

This was a bit of an issue years ago with some early aftermarket tension rod bushes not allowing enough movement.

This. I had to replace both arms a while ago on my black nissan due to this problem. I thought it was brakes for a long time, but the lower arm had fractured around the tension rod mountings and wasnt even connected :whistling:

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

This. I had to replace both arms a while ago on my black nissan due to this problem. I thought it was brakes for a long time, but the lower arm had fractured around the tension rod mountings and wasnt even connected :whistling:

That’s kinda scarey!

I'm going to try and get her to someone i know why an MOT station and get the brakes checked on their brake rollers and get it on the ramp to check arms, mounts, rods, etc...

Thank you all for the suggestions and experiences.....

I will let you all know the outcome.... with pictures if we find anything....

That’s kinda scarey!

Yes, especially that moment when you see the problem and think "oops i have been driving on that for the past 3 months!"

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

• 4 weeks later...

Well ABS light came on near home on way back from Museum of power show...... 8 flashes..... N/S/R abs sensor circuit...... so going to have a look when I swap out my front drop links for some new ones.......

At least I got the code this time.....

• 4 weeks later...

Well looks like I found the issue...... drop links changed and the N/S/F tension rod bolts had worked themselves loose.... re-torqued them and the clonk when stopping at low speeds is now gone away........

And weirdly no rear ABS faults popping up.... may have to check for crap on the sensors and connections......

But now one happy bunny.......