E55 AMG comparison to Z32

Anyone here owned or driven an E55 AMG (W211)? I'm looking to swap the 300zx TT in for a mildly tuned E55 (approx 550bhp).

I have a fair mind about the general driveability as my dad has a CSL and I've driven a poverty E-class before. Even the CSL v6 t-diesel isn't slow and gets to 130 in no time at all, the diff is exceptionally good but the auto-changes aren't as quick as modern cars; though the hydraulic block can be swapped out for a more responsive unit.

The AMG has air-suspension so hopefully it will be a little smoother, the CSL isn't a patch on the UZZ32 soarer with adaptive air suspension but hopefully the AMG will be a similar level of smooth.

I expect repair costs to be on a par with the 300zx, would this be an accurate assumption?

I don't expect it to be as exhillirating in quite the same way; im aware I could make the Z32 just as quick if not quicker but there's something I really, really like about the E55 appearance and that v8 exhaust note is just sublime.

Any advice?

I haven't - but am also a big Mercedes fan....:wink:

There was a good write-up on the E55 in Modern Classics a few months ago. They are fast, reliable cars, if looked after properly; 0-62 in circa 4.7 but 0-100 (and upwards) it will still destroy a lot of modern high-performance cars. Running costs will be higher than a Zed I'd say - thinks like AMG-spec brakes are expensive!! That said, day to day driving, I doubt it will cost more on fuel etc.

Go over to the MB forums for more advice. These guys are very helpful, I have always found....

https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Yup, running costs and parts are substantially more than a Z32. Another Merc fan here, my daily being a W205 AMG-Line. E55 is a great car and under rated.

Jimmer works on a few Mercs too, an SL55 and the parts for that (same mechanicals) are extremely high in comparison to a Z32 and the expensive stuff does fail!

Much appreciated guys, I'll take a look on there see what's what. I was acctually put off Mercedes massively when my dad bought his CLS, the interior is cramped for such a big car, the spring suspension is crap, the mudflaps scrape on absolutely everything, for a 40k mile car lots has already gone wrong - cheap-ish stuff, but still; the interior is quite dated looking. The E-class variant has more room inside but the handling and comfort characteristics remain. But for such a luxury brand the main problem for me was the level of comfort - it's shocking!! My 1992 Honda Vigor and the old mans 1991 UZZ32 soarer are worlds ahead in terms of interior silence, seat comfort and journey enjoyability.

I'm buying the E55 for the engine primarily but can I really expect the level of comfort to be that much better than the base-level models?