300ZX TT - A18GCK

Raja93

21 hours ago, jimmer said:

Hi Rajah,

I am so glad everything is good and you are happy with it all,I can still remember how happy you were when we tried a wheel on Andy,s car and Viola !!! It cleared the Akebono,s.They look so good and the stance it has 😘

Haha I thought there was no chance they'd fit, so was over the moon when they did. Thanks again for pulling the long shifts and turning it all around in the few days you had, especially with the unexpected parts issues!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
On 24/07/2021 at 12:53, jimmer said:

Hi Rajah,

I can still remember how happy you were when we tried a wheel on Andy,s car and Viola !!! It cleared the Akebono,s. They look so good and the stance it has 😘

This is mine and I have the 8.5J fronts with 9.5J rears.

Fitted with 245/35/18 and 275/35/18 Michelins.

Offsets on all four concave fitment wheels are +32, rears just bolted on, fronts have a 10mm spacer, of course that makes those +22.

All very similar to Rajah's but for mm's.

PHOTO-2021-05-10-16-42-16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Inked15434f78-b3e2-4a12-8834-e89c8c1de6cc_zps2ed1072c.jpg.5413f7edc187237185ab13a7bed730d8_LI.jpg.6f4d1a06031d157606fdd805988d8de2.jpg

• Gaz 300 changed the title to 300ZX TT - A18GCK
  • 4 weeks later...

I took her upto Protuner in Coventry on Friday 20th August to fit the Link G4X ECU, partly to solve the minor running issues the car has and also as preparation for the forged engine rebuild and big power, which I had planned for the next 2-3 years. The running issues were minor and very random/infrequent, of which I ruled as being caused by a dodgy Nistune chip or the butchering of the chip by Turbonoz - forum posts the previous owner (Ollie) made, findings with Protuner when Ollie had the 740cc's fitted/mapped and general research brought me to this conclusion. I set off early at 5:30am with a stop off to fill up with Shell's finest V-Power. Unlike @TheRealNips's beauty that manages over 300 miles (jealous!!), mine only manages 220-230 miles on a run, driving at or around the speed limit. Second photo is just after I arrived at Protuner, with an array of 90's Jap cars. 

thumbnail_image0-12.jpg

thumbnail_image1-8.jpg

• Like 3

The following week, Greg and the guys carried out their thorough pre-dyno checks including boost leak tests, compression tests etc. They found the turbo actuator pipework was loose and hanging off one bank, of which was the reason to the occasional over boosting (hitting a wall feeling around 4-5k revs). This has been happening for the last half a year really randomly, and on some journeys not happening at all. I haven’t been driving the car in any anger due to other issues/worn clutch and flywheel and new clutch being bedded in etc. We had thought this was due to the ecu/nistune issues. Unfortunately, this has led to the opposite bank turbo being overworked, and as a result is now leaking some oil. 

They carried out the compression tests and found more bad news – 3 tests were completed and are summarised in the below photo. None of the cylinders are optimal so say the least (circa 175psi ideal??), but cylinder 2 and 6 are in technical terms, fu**ed! 

When the engine is cold, Greg found the hydraulic lifter is collapsed and when the engine warms up after a few minutes and the oil begins flowing well to the head, they release. This explains the cold start idling issues that I’ve always had in the year and 6 months I’ve had her. 

COMPRESSION TEST RESULTS..png

Edited by naz27
  • Sad 2

I asked Greg to forward the above findings to Jim @ PowerZed, as I knew with the mountain of bad news, I’d probably forget some of the bits he told me! I can drive it around for the last of the summer he advised, which is the saving grace, otherwise I’d be seriously peed off if she was sat on the driveway for the last of the half decent weather. 

I’ve asked Jim for a quote for a full rebuild and a target of 600bhp, with reliability and response a key, so I’m flexible on power targets for the sake of those two objectives. I’m hoping to get the rebuild done at the same time as the full respray in January, as the bodyshop is Jim’s recommended one in the Bristol area. This will make things much easier logistically and be two birds with one stone timings wise (respray is circa 3 months). 

On the plus side, the Link G4 has seriously improved the driveability of the Zed, with simple things like revs after gear changes being so, so much smoother and just the overall behaviour of the car being much better, despite the terminal problems!! She no longer runs super rich on start up which is good. Strangely, since mid-last year, I’ve gone through a year old refurbished starter motor and onto another. Earlier this year, the starter motor I fitted, began requiring two attempts to start her. Now she starts on one turn.

Another plus is she is now running on a MAP sensor, so the dual MAF’s and the Selin Translator are redundant – they’ll be put onto ebay soonish when I get around to it. 

It's not the end of the world, as I had planned to do the rebuild in the next few years as mentioned above, but it definitely wasn't expected to be needed right now. The next step is to plan the rebuild with Jim depending on his diary, sell some organs to free up some funds and set up a Gofundme page! 

Edited by naz27
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear the slightly bad news, hopefully the engine holds up while you plan the big build as you have certainly put a tremendous effort into yo getting your Zed to this stage!

It goes without saying but the more your tune the Zed then compression issues will show up, the results do point towards worn piston rings and as Greg mentioned you should be able to use it for the last of the summer.

Hope to join you in the 600bhp club!!

• Like 1

Sad times indeed... I have everything crossed that it will be ok. 600bhp will be good, I would love to go there with my car one day. Glad you can use the car (gently) until the winter as we have Go Jap! in less than 2 weeks! I'll get the beer and food in for the BBQ the night before! 🍺🍗

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

Sorry to hear the slightly bad news, hopefully the engine holds up while you plan the big build as you have certainly put a tremendous effort into yo getting your Zed to this stage!
It goes without saying but the more your tune the Zed then compression issues will show up, the results do point towards worn piston rings and as Greg mentioned you should be able to use it for the last of the summer.
Hope to join you in the 600bhp club!!

Thanks for the support and feedback. I always thought it would need rebuilding at some stage but yep didn’t expect it to be so soon - one of the many reasons I bought it was because of its meticulous service history - e.g oil changes done every 6 months since import in 2007, with a gigantic service history box. Ah well, it’s all good and will be sorted hopefully before next summer!

Seems to be running ok and yep only driving it gently bentley until November hibernation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad times indeed... I have everything crossed that it will be ok. 600bhp will be good, I would love to go there with my car one day. Glad you can use the car (gently) until the winter as we have Go Jap! in less than 2 weeks! I'll get the beer and food in for the BBQ the night before! 

Looking forward to Go Japan and the bbq!! Your cars a lovely example - enjoy it in its stock reliable form for as long as possible . Modifying, as fun as the results are, is like opening a can of worms on cars of this age .

On 25/07/2021 at 21:33, phutumsch said:

This is mine and I have the 8.5J fronts with 9.5J rears.

Fitted with 245/35/18 and 275/35/18 Michelins.

Offsets on all four concave fitment wheels are +32, rears just bolted on, fronts have a 10mm spacer, of course that makes those +22.

All very similar to Rajah's but for mm's.

PHOTO-2021-05-10-16-42-16.jpg

Looks sweet that zed bud 

On 12/09/2021 at 19:59, naz27 said:

I asked Greg to forward the above findings to Jim @ PowerZed, as I knew with the mountain of bad news, I’d probably forget some of the bits he told me! I can drive it around for the last of the summer he advised, which is the saving grace, otherwise I’d be seriously peed off if she was sat on the driveway for the last of the half decent weather. 

I’ve asked Jim for a quote for a full rebuild and a target of 600bhp, with reliability and response a key, so I’m flexible on power targets for the sake of those two objectives. I’m hoping to get the rebuild done at the same time as the full respray in January, as the bodyshop is Jim’s recommended one in the Bristol area. This will make things much easier logistically and be two birds with one stone timings wise (respray is circa 3 months). 

On the plus side, the Link G4 has seriously improved the driveability of the Zed, with simple things like revs after gear changes being so, so much smoother and just the overall behaviour of the car being much better, despite the terminal problems!! She no longer runs super rich on start up which is good. Strangely, since mid-last year, I’ve gone through a year old refurbished starter motor and onto another. Earlier this year, the starter motor I fitted, began requiring two attempts to start her. Now she starts on one turn.

Another plus is she is now running on a MAP sensor, so the dual MAF’s and the Selin Translator are redundant – they’ll be put onto ebay soonish when I get around to it. 

It's not the end of the world, as I had planned to do the rebuild in the next few years as mentioned above, but it definitely wasn't expected to be needed right now. The next step is to plan the rebuild with Jim depending on his diary, sell some organs to free up some funds and set up a Gofundme page! 

Sorry to here you’re troubles naz…it will be a hell of a car when Jim and Greg’s finished with it..do a thread build something i should of done with mine really as I haven’t give jimmer his just deserve with my zed just out of interest did you have traction control fitted too ?

• Like 1

Sorry to here you’re troubles naz…it will be a hell of a car when Jim and Greg’s finished with it..do a thread build something i should of done with mine really as I haven’t give jimmer his just deserve with my zed just out of interest did you have traction control fitted too ?

Thanks mate and hopefully so, can’t wait until it’s finished! . I’ll definitely continue this thread with updates of the build and respray as we progress.

I haven’t had traction control enabled no, but Greg has quoted for it, launch control and a host of other features for when the rebuild is done. I’ll probably get it enabled to see how it feels.

Yours was at Jimmers over summer wasn’t it? Black SWB almost 600hp? If it was, then you have a lovely Zed sir. You should start a thread, never too late - be interested to see what you did with yours.

On 04/04/2020 at 19:27, naz27 said:

Ok so far I have done the following;

- given it a thorough detail. It’s washed weekly but over the past few weeks have detailed more and more bits. Today I cleaned all the targa seals and applied autoglym bumper and trim gel with loads of layers.
- replaced the external door trims to both sides
- replaced the rusty wheel nuts with new shiny silver ones
- had an oil/filter change
- brake fluid flush with new motul rbf660 fluid
- new Castrol diff oil
- new 99 spec xenon headlights - absolutely love them!!! Transforms the front end and modernises so much

Unfortunately since last weekend I heard a rough humming noise, from the rear end upon slowing down and especially when coasting. When changing the diff oil, my garage did a sound test with this listening device and headphones and found the noise coming from the diff. When we removed the diff drain plug, we found a shit tonne of metal filings, so pretty safe to say the diff is buggered.

Thankfully Banzai Brokers are currently breaking a 92 TT SWB, and I managed to snap up a good condition diff off them. This should hopefully be with me by next Friday. I can then get it swapped out ASAP. Before I put it in, I’m going to strip off the surface rust, repaint in black, change the bushes. The garage will change the input and output seals when they fit it. Can’t wait as at the moment I can drive the car from a to b, but noise is getting worse. With the weather, I went out today with the t tops off and it’s so hard to not floor it!

Also managed to get some new wind deflectors for the t top area from Banzai, because as you can see, the existing ones have been taped together!

Here’s some pics of the bits discussed above;

IMG_4970.jpgIMG_4958.jpgIMG_4943.jpgBD994693-6193-45FC-9D66-A42A14A96902.jpgIMG_4951.jpgIMG_4967.jpgIMG_4968.jpgIMG_4924.jpgIMG_4928.jpg

Love the head lights 😎

• Like 1

20 hours ago, naz27 said:

Thanks mate and hopefully so, can’t wait until it’s finished! emoji3.png. I’ll definitely continue this thread with updates of the build and respray as we progress.

I haven’t had traction control enabled no, but Greg has quoted for it, launch control and a host of other features for when the rebuild is done. I’ll probably get it enabled to see how it feels.

Yours was at Jimmers over summer wasn’t it? Black SWB almost 600hp? If it was, then you have a lovely Zed sir. You should start a thread, never too late - be interested to see what you did with yours.

Mine is still with jimmer naz should be collecting next week but will have to be trailered away as with new cams and other bits the map is now out of sink…..its booked in with Greg for 12th November for G4 link with traction control so that’s why i asked if you had it done.going to push the power over 600bhp this time it will be bonkers as now with 535bhp it’s something else!😳

keep us updated mate on the build hope all goes well 🤙

• Like 1

Mine is still with jimmer naz should be collecting next week but will have to be trailered away as with new cams and other bits the map is now out of sink…..its booked in with Greg for 12th November for G4 link with traction control so that’s why i asked if you had it done.going to push the power over 600bhp this time it will be bonkers as now with 535bhp it’s something else!
keep us updated mate on the build hope all goes well 

Thanks mate . Over 600bhp sounds nuts - will be so much fun to drive. Hope the mapping goes well and let me know how the traction control feels once set up. Hope you got some decent rear tyres to cope with all that extra power!

• Like 1

Really nice car that I've enjoyed following along. 

Slightly random question but did you lose cruise control functionality with a standalone ECU like the Link or are we fine as they have their own control unit in our cars?

• Like 1

Really nice car that I've enjoyed following along. 
Slightly random question but did you lose cruise control functionality with a standalone ECU like the Link or are we fine as they have their own control unit in our cars?

Glad you’ve enjoyed the journey and thanks mate, appreciate it . Good question! I’ve never used cruise control in any of my cars so not sure, but the next time I drive it, I shall let you know. In theory it should do, because as you say it’s got its own ecu and the link is known to be a drop in solution, retaining the factory features. Anyway, I’ll update you once I’ve tried it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh bugger mate, that's a damn shame!

I can still mind the figures when I had it compression tested in 2013, lowest was 162 and highest 166, pretty solid at the time.

Jimmer will have it all sorted out for you, his rep is superb as you will know, and low comp can be caused by various things, so not always that bad....but if you want big power, would need to rebuild in any case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 19:37, Dazsw said:

Ahh bugger mate, that's a damn shame!

I can still mind the figures when I had it compression tested in 2013, lowest was 162 and highest 166, pretty solid at the time.

Jimmer will have it all sorted out for you, his rep is superb as you will know, and low comp can be caused by various things, so not always that bad....but if you want big power, would need to rebuild in any case.

Yeah is a real shame but ah well. Back in 2013 it would have been 20 years old - considering the perfect number is 175 psi, for a 20 year old car, that's pretty dam good I guess. Yep at least it'll be in safe hands with Jim so can relax. I'm looking at all the parts options now; I want response and reliability so thinking Z1 GT525's and CP Pistons/Rods seem to be best quality. Teaching myself as I go though so will wait and see what Jim advises. I won't ever sell this Zed, so knowing the engine is solid will be a peace of mind TBH. 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 09:46, Raja93 said:

Yeah is a real shame but ah well. Back in 2013 it would have been 20 years old - considering the perfect number is 175 psi, for a 20 year old car, that's pretty dam good I guess. Yep at least it'll be in safe hands with Jim so can relax. I'm looking at all the parts options now; I want response and reliability so thinking Z1 GT525's and CP Pistons/Rods seem to be best quality. Teaching myself as I go though so will wait and see what Jim advises. I won't ever sell this Zed, so knowing the engine is solid will be a peace of mind TBH. 

It's in the right hands for sure, Jimmer will be able to advise on whatever route you choose 🙂

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.