300ZX TT - A18GCK

Could you ping me a PM with what costs you paid for the whole lot please? 

I'm going to be weighing up the various options to replace all mine shortly. Ta. 

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

• Love 1

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

14 hours ago, naz27 said:

Just speaking with the garage now, arranging a date, probably for late October.

Just in case it gets missed the bushes for the FUCA (54541-RS580 and 54545-RS580) have specific fitment instructions (in Japanese).

Make sure the 1mm gaps indicated and arrowed are achieved rather than simply pressing those four bushes all the way in.

Instructions.thumb.jpg.c512be421c542fa42e3c7e3bcc07c5e4.jpg

P1000867.thumb.JPG.362a9b0bb2063600c7125895d530bb93.JPG

• Like 2

Project 1547 - Out of the Blue

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went - Simply irresistible.

6 hours ago, AndrewG said:

Just in case it gets missed the bushes for the FUCA (54541-RS580 and 54545-RS580) have specific fitment instructions (in Japanese).

Make sure the 1mm gaps indicated and arrowed are achieved rather than simply pressing those four bushes all the way in.

Instructions.thumb.jpg.c512be421c542fa42e3c7e3bcc07c5e4.jpg

P1000867.thumb.JPG.362a9b0bb2063600c7125895d530bb93.JPG

Hi Andrew, 

Wise advice as always - many thanks, it's appreciated. 

• 2 months later...

After dropping her off on 27th October, I just got the Zed back yesterday morning. In typical fashion, it was raining as it was on the way there - seems to be a curse with this car and long journeys! ??

Originally I was going to get the Underseal stripped off and re-done, however the garage advised there was no need as it was in good condition. It was the suspension arms that had very mild surface rust starting, which made me think oh stuff it, let's just get it all re-done. Once they removed the suspension arms, the chassis was in great condition, apart from a small area of surface behind the fuel tank I think, which they sanded away, treated, primed and applied new under seal to. 

So the total list of works carried out;

- Front/rear subframes and all suspension was stripped off. Both subframes, all suspension arms, arb's, brackets and misc. small items were sand blasted and painted in gloss black. Heat shields were sandblasted and done in a silver colour. 

- Replaced every suspension bush apart from some Whiteline adjustable FUCA bushes which were under 2 years old. Fitted Nismo bushes for all the ones they offered except the diff bushes, as I wanted something a bit more solid to take my hard summer driving and also more power in the future! Ball joints to front and rear also replaced. 

- Energy Suspension bushes fitted to front steering rack, front arb, rear arb, diff and rear subframe. 

- Front drop links replaced as they were so seized, they couldn't be removed. I wish they replaced the rear ones they as they've got nasty looking surface rust on them. I didn't ask them to, as having no practical hands on knowledge of suspension until I started ordering the bushes (other than basic knowledge you pick up here and there), I didn't think to do them. I'll sand and paint them at home though so all good. 

- Replaced rear brake pads for a set of Mintex items that I think RichardS recommended earlier this year. They had started coming away from the backing plate which I didn't realise! Handbrake cable replaced as it was damaged/falling apart.  

- Michellin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted to the rear, to replace the old Nexen's and finally to now match the fronts! Now I've got the confidence to really push the car ?

- Sills had been bent by being jacked in the wrong place by local garages used by previous owner. They were straightened out and any surface rust treated/painted over 

- I'll do the diff painting at home and also do the rear drive shafts. 

- My boost controller had some seriously dodgy wiring which has now been resolved thankfully! 

- Front wheel bearings replaced with new OEM items, as they couldn't guarantee when stripping off the suspension/hubs, that no debris would get into the bearings, which would damage them, so opted for replacement. 

- And finally a mandatory 4 wheel alignment. 

Unfortunately, when they had finished the works and taken the car out for a test drive last Wednesday, they found the rear end had symptoms similar to worn subframe bushes. They took the car back to the workshop and inspected on the lift. The subframe was tight as torqued to spec however the drivers side front and passenger rear energy suspension bush had deformed at the top, and compressed. Sadly they don't have time to remove the subframe and fit replacements until January 19th, since they were already behind schedule when they started my car, and have back to back bookings until then. I opted to take the car back home slowly, as it was a bit sketchy with those dodgy subframe bushes. I've got it booked in on 15th December with my local garage (who fitted my diff and do my basic service work), and I'll replace them then. I ruled out the fact it could have been bad workmanship since all the work they do, day in and day out is work on 90's Japanese sports cars and mostly Nissan 200sx's, Skylines, Soarers, Evo's etc. All they seem to be doing this winter is suspension/chassis overhauls on these types of cars.

The steering feel and general feel of the car otherwise was lovely, and I cannot wait until I've sorted these subframe bushes  so I can go for a blast on a nice sunny day. 

I'll update following the subframe bush replacement, with hopefully positive news!

Some before and after shots. I'll get better pictures when its at the garage again in a few weeks. 

(5).jpg

(6).jpg

(1).jpg

(2).jpg

(4).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/febi-bilstein-7107640.html

I've just got these for rear drop links. I'm binning the bushes and washers and just using the rod itself with whiteline bushes and washers. Might be an option for you if you don't want to wait for another order from the US. These took 4 days delivery from Germany. 

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, naz27 said:

After dropping her off on 27th October, I just got the Zed back yesterday morning. In typical fashion, it was raining as it was on the way there - seems to be a curse with this car and long journeys! ??

Originally I was going to get the Underseal stripped off and re-done, however the garage advised there was no need as it was in good condition. It was the suspension arms that had very mild surface rust starting, which made me think oh stuff it, let's just get it all re-done. Once they removed the suspension arms, the chassis was in great condition, apart from a small area of surface behind the fuel tank I think, which they sanded away, treated, primed and applied new under seal to. 

So the total list of works carried out;

- Front/rear subframes and all suspension was stripped off. Both subframes, all suspension arms, arb's, brackets and misc. small items were sand blasted and painted in gloss black. Heat shields were sandblasted and done in a silver colour. 

- Replaced every suspension bush apart from some Whiteline adjustable FUCA bushes which were under 2 years old. Fitted Nismo bushes for all the ones they offered except the diff bushes, as I wanted something a bit more solid to take my hard summer driving and also more power in the future! Ball joints to front and rear also replaced. 

- Energy Suspension bushes fitted to front steering rack, front arb, rear arb, diff and rear subframe. 

- Front drop links replaced as they were so seized, they couldn't be removed. I wish they replaced the rear ones they as they've got nasty looking surface rust on them. I didn't ask them to, as having no practical hands on knowledge of suspension until I started ordering the bushes (other than basic knowledge you pick up here and there), I didn't think to do them. I'll sand and paint them at home though so all good. 

- Replaced rear brake pads for a set of Mintex items that I think RichardS recommended earlier this year. They had started coming away from the backing plate which I didn't realise! Handbrake cable replaced as it was damaged/falling apart.  

- Michellin Pilot Sport 4 tyres fitted to the rear, to replace the old Nexen's and finally to now match the fronts! Now I've got the confidence to really push the car ?

- Sills had been bent by being jacked in the wrong place by local garages used by previous owner. They were straightened out and any surface rust treated/painted over 

- I'll do the diff painting at home and also do the rear drive shafts. 

- My boost controller had some seriously dodgy wiring which has now been resolved thankfully! 

- Front wheel bearings replaced with new OEM items, as they couldn't guarantee when stripping off the suspension/hubs, that no debris would get into the bearings, which would damage them, so opted for replacement. 

- And finally a mandatory 4 wheel alignment. 

Unfortunately, when they had finished the works and taken the car out for a test drive last Wednesday, they found the rear end had symptoms similar to worn subframe bushes. They took the car back to the workshop and inspected on the lift. The subframe was tight as torqued to spec however the drivers side front and passenger rear energy suspension bush had deformed at the top, and compressed. Sadly they don't have time to remove the subframe and fit replacements until January 19th, since they were already behind schedule when they started my car, and have back to back bookings until then. I opted to take the car back home slowly, as it was a bit sketchy with those dodgy subframe bushes. I've got it booked in on 15th December with my local garage (who fitted my diff and do my basic service work), and I'll replace them then. I ruled out the fact it could have been bad workmanship since all the work they do, day in and day out is work on 90's Japanese sports cars and mostly Nissan 200sx's, Skylines, Soarers, Evo's etc. All they seem to be doing this winter is suspension/chassis overhauls on these types of cars.

The steering feel and general feel of the car otherwise was lovely, and I cannot wait until I've sorted these subframe bushes  so I can go for a blast on a nice sunny day. 

I'll update following the subframe bush replacement, with hopefully positive news!

Some before and after shots. I'll get better pictures when its at the garage again in a few weeks. 

(5).jpg

(6).jpg

(1).jpg

(2).jpg

(4).jpg

Looking great Naz......?

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/febi-bilstein-7107640.html
I've just got these for rear drop links. I'm binning the bushes and washers and just using the rod itself with whiteline bushes and washers. Might be an option for you if you don't want to wait for another order from the US. These took 4 days delivery from Germany. 

Thanks for this - very helpful [emoji1417]. Hope yours is going ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice [emoji106] Do you know exactly what they used to paint the control arms?

Thanks mate [emoji3]

Not too sure actually - all I know is it’s what they use on all their cars they do including the drift/track cars. I can ask them if you want to know for your zed?

They subbed the sandblast/painting to another shop in their little business park, which is filled with jap performance or motorsports shops.

Great work mate, shame the bushes didn't work out.

I had something similar happen with the Skyline, but I actually was there when the garage fitted them and watched them fuck it up, just used too much force, hence why they paid for replacements ?

Be great when it's finally fixed for you, should be lovely to drive.

Trying to think back if I had a boost controller in that car, but I think it was my first Zed that I had one fitted, and not that one, will be in the history anyway I'm sure.

• Like 1

Great work mate, shame the bushes didn't work out.
I had something similar happen with the Skyline, but I actually was there when the garage fitted them and watched them fuck it up, just used too much force, hence why they paid for replacements [emoji846]
Be great when it's finally fixed for you, should be lovely to drive.
Trying to think back if I had a boost controller in that car, but I think it was my first Zed that I had one fitted, and not that one, will be in the history anyway I'm sure.

Hello mate, good to hear from you. Yeah it was a shame and who knows why they deformed - when I take it to my local garage the week after next, I’ll be there whilst they do the work, armed with a subframe fitting instruction manual I found on CZP website haha, and with all the proper torque specs.

No don’t worry - Ollie fitted the boost controller himself. Jimmer showed me how badly it was done when I was down at his garage in summer. Anyway all sorted now thankfully.

Will update when bushes sorted, and then the preparation for the respray will start...

As planned, went to my local garage yesterday and worked with the guy on the zed as his assistant trainee mechanic haha, to drop the rear subframe and replace the subframe bushes. Went for strongflex ones as recommended by the original jap performance garage I used - they said they’re better quality than energy suspension and they weren’t wrong. These bushes didn’t need the metal subframe sleeves or the washers - they were just two solid pieces. Material and finish felt higher quality too, which was reassuring.

Armed with a guide from czp and FSM torque specs, we managed to finish it after a long long day. Went for a drive after and all seems to be perfect, thank god!

Whilst I was there, me being me, I cleaned up the exhaust and wiped down the newly painted suspension parts.

Some pics of old vs new bushes and of the subframe.

ddbefdd4-2b44-4fdb-be9d-98ce1b4bd530.jpgbd5bbc2b-664e-4b2f-92cd-2cfc58d6fcac.jpgcc773257-2ab9-4150-bc95-98d1cb1225c8.jpgb2d160c1-3c21-4b48-a359-8a8e00fc4195.jpg604ab344-ab44-4441-ab2d-6afccd7dae95.jpg
  • Like 4

Looks smart mate. Glad you got it all sorted. 

Also I'm pleased to see the pics as I was having a head scratch on which way up to install the lower shock Bush. That pic shows it perfectly! 

Give me a few more months and I'll catch up to you! ?

• Like 1

Looks smart mate. Glad you got it all sorted. 
Also I'm pleased to see the pics as I was having a head scratch on which way up to install the lower shock Bush. That pic shows it perfectly! 
Give me a few more months and I'll catch up to you! [emoji23]

Haha no worries mate - that’s what this forum is for. So glad I joined as it turned out to be so much more useful than I ever thought - decades of experience, quite literally.

I’ve got some more photos so let me know if you need to see anything else at all.

Looking forward to seeing yours - I took the easy way out and paid someone else to do the work, although seeing you do yours makes me jealous and wish I had the knowledge/experience to take apart a subframe and put it back together myself!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Zed didn't come with a complete set of targa hold down straps for the boot; the long section was missing. This wasn't the end of the world, but was a bit annoying, as I had to wedge my picnic matt and sun shade around the targa panels, to prevent them scraping the boot plastic trim sections. After looking through eBay and messaging various breakers, I finally found a complete set, and bought them early this month. 

Ended up sanding them down to bare metal, as they had a fair amount of surface rust. Painted them in the freezing cold in my garage which wasn't the best idea, as the paint found it difficult to cure to a decent finish. Used a hair dryer which seemed to help them cure and then brought then indoors for a couple days to get nice and solid. Got them fitted in the car today - I think that's the right way to put them in; never seen any fitted in person!

After the honeymoon period wore off after getting her back from the chassis work, I got her out when the weather was decent and tested at higher speeds. Alignment was definitely not perfect like it was before, as the chassis garage didn't have laser alignment equipment - only the old school box frame and string method. They did say it wouldn't be perfect to be fair. Anyway I took it to my favourite tyre shop who did the alignment back in summer and now after a full 4 wheel laser alignment, all is well again handling wise.  

thumbnail_image0-4.jpg

thumbnail_image1-5.jpg

image4.jpeg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

thumbnail_image6.jpg

• Like 2

I had this issue when originally driving back from the chassis garage, but assumed it was linked to the dodgy subframe bushes, but when at higher motorway speeds, when I brake, the car pulls to the left. My local garage advised when I get the car back home, to check which wheel is hot and with the most brake dust. I ruled it down to the drivers side front wheel. Got her booked in tomorrow to test the callipers and try to resolve the issue; we're assuming it's the K-sport calliper seizing. They were fine before the works, but guess the combination of the car being sat at the garage and now at home unused during winter, has got them behaving badly.

If the calliper is shot, I'll opt to fit a full set of Akebono brakes - going to print off the wheel fitment template tonight and test fit tomorrow when at the garage. I was planning on fitting them anyway after Jimmer showed me a set back in summer - they're absolutely massive! 

• Like 3

For the respray early next year, I've recently started considering the Twin Z Design - type 1 rear spoiler, instead of refitting my OEM replica one. I'm liking the LED third brake light and the slim design - just modernises the rear end a touch. Originally I thought the OEM spoiler was better as its thicker so would look better suited to my massive exhausts. Decisions, decisions...

Need to get the order in for all the external trim and targa seals - looking forward to not having rain dripping on the passenger seat during heavy rain!

OEM vs Twin Z spoiler below for reference - I believe Joelyp has one on his Zed too. 

TwinZDesignSpoilerComparison7.thumb.jpg.60bafbe80d116db5846508c073daed1b.jpg

• Like 3