300ZX TT - A18GCK

Raja93

In the areas I've highlighted there is still rust. It may look shiny but that is still corrosion in the pitting. 

Ideally you'd need to soda blast those bits to get it fully out and then paint with a proper paint scheme (don't bother with rustbusters - their epoxy paints are just rebranded Jotun marine paints. Available cheaper from SML paints or other marine suppliers). 

If you've already epoxied over it, then you'll have stopped the worst of it and slowed it significantly as you've done good prep. However a coat of a rust inhibitor would have been better before the epoxy (I use neutrarust, but they all do the same job chemically). 

For the size area it is, and the pits are particularly deep, you'll be fine to leave as is imo. Particularly if you are only using your car on summer dry days. 

Screenshot_20210409_102821.jpg

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
7 hours ago, Lexx said:

In the areas I've highlighted there is still rust. It may look shiny but that is still corrosion in the pitting. 

Ideally you'd need to soda blast those bits to get it fully out and then paint with a proper paint scheme (don't bother with rustbusters - their epoxy paints are just rebranded Jotun marine paints. Available cheaper from SML paints or other marine suppliers). 

If you've already epoxied over it, then you'll have stopped the worst of it and slowed it significantly as you've done good prep. However a coat of a rust inhibitor would have been better before the epoxy (I use neutrarust, but they all do the same job chemically). 

For the size area it is, and the pits are particularly deep, you'll be fine to leave as is imo. Particularly if you are only using your car on summer dry days. 

Screenshot_20210409_102821.jpg

Thanks for the feedback 👍 I have indeed covered it in the epoxy - I had it at my mechanics ramp on a Friday all day and left it over the weekend to dry. Put straps back on Sunday night before reopening Monday morning so time was tight. The trials and tribulations of not having my car port sorted - dam neighbour!

Ah I see - the Rustbuster instructions and some googling said to do it to bare metal, so thought best follow this - guess in hindsight that rule probably doesn't apply when you got some corrosion in the pitting remaining like I do. I'd usually put on a red oxide/zinc primer like I did on the diff, but yeah the instructions made me think otherwise. Every day is a school day - will use rust inhibitor next time as a base coat. 

Thats great to know about the original brand being cheaper - did not know this. Applied it to other areas too - It's solid stuff, so quite impressed.  

I guess all I can do now is take off the straps every year and inspect to make sure it doesn't get worse. 

Epoxy will indeed go on bare metal. I do it all the time. 

It's more that there's still rust there. 

It'll last a good long while like that though. Decades most likely. 

Rust inhibitor shouldn't be used on "clean bare" steel. There's no good key for it. So you use it on the rust and overlap onto the good steel. Then full epoxy coat. 

Edited by Lexx

It doesn't look too bad but I've seen similar things like that on other cars, look fine then before you know it...leaking.

I don't know how thick the steel is on the tank, that would be the thing that would sway me on the course of action.

If it's thick, it would prob be ok, but if thin then I would be looking at replacement for peace of mind.

The idle thing is weird, car idled not too bad for me, but I know it's been mapped and had different injectors and stuff since I had it, could be various things causing it, I would check for air leaks as this always messes with idle.

Do you have Conzult or similar?

Though if it is going to Jimmer, he's obviously the man for this 🙂

Just been through your thread and it's been quite a nice read!

Loving the blue colour, it looks amazing in person and you're doing a good job of keeping it shiny and treating the plastics and rubber bits too!

I like the fact that you've been wanting to do the respray for a while, but sidetrack to sort the mechanicals and rust. You often hear stories about how people sort the exterior and leave the underneath issues lurking. Very much the best way to go to ensure a solid base for the future.

How have you found the ride and steering since all of the suspension bushes were changed? I've read about the ride getting stiffer and being "not as smooth"?

Heading back to the beginning, it's a shame you couldn't save the VeilSide alloys. (I think I've contacted the same place in NW London about mine). But the JR10s you've got really suit the car!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dazsw said:

It doesn't look too bad but I've seen similar things like that on other cars, look fine then before you know it...leaking.

I don't know how thick the steel is on the tank, that would be the thing that would sway me on the course of action.

If it's thick, it would prob be ok, but if thin then I would be looking at replacement for peace of mind.

The idle thing is weird, car idled not too bad for me, but I know it's been mapped and had different injectors and stuff since I had it, could be various things causing it, I would check for air leaks as this always messes with idle.

Do you have Conzult or similar?

Though if it is going to Jimmer, he's obviously the man for this 🙂

Yeah the steel thickness I was wondering about, and I've put it on my 'to ask Jimmer' list, so hopefully he'll have an idea, which as you say, will help me with the course of action. From what Lexx is saying, should be ok either way for now. 

Unfortunately don't have Conzult yet but should invest in one soon. The idle is weird - it's done it since when I went to view the car at Ollie's, but only when the engine is cold. When warm, it's mostly perfect idle. I've recently read up on the VG's various idle control units - quite complicated so yes going to leave to Jim to hopefully sort!! I could live with it before (as Ollie did in the end) but yeah recently it stalled at the roundabout near my house when cold, so now I definitely want to get sorted. 

Cheers for the feedback as always 👍

18 hours ago, mister_fcx said:

Just been through your thread and it's been quite a nice read!

Loving the blue colour, it looks amazing in person and you're doing a good job of keeping it shiny and treating the plastics and rubber bits too!

I like the fact that you've been wanting to do the respray for a while, but sidetrack to sort the mechanicals and rust. You often hear stories about how people sort the exterior and leave the underneath issues lurking. Very much the best way to go to ensure a solid base for the future.

How have you found the ride and steering since all of the suspension bushes were changed? I've read about the ride getting stiffer and being "not as smooth"?

Heading back to the beginning, it's a shame you couldn't save the VeilSide alloys. (I think I've contacted the same place in NW London about mine). But the JR10s you've got really suit the car!

Thanks for the positive feedback - glad to hear you've enjoyed it! 

Yeah the blue really pops when waxed and kept in good condition, hence why I keep it so shiny haha 😄

Definitely is the best way to do things, especially on older cars. Hopefully now though, after the trip to Jim's, it will finally be time for the respray - I've got a spare bed at home filled with the parts waiting to go on!

My Zed has always handled excellently and also always been on the stiff side, which I like as I use her for fast drives a lot - also don't have speed bumps near me so that helps hah! The previous owner had fitted new BC racing coilovers, deleted hicas, replaced a few bushes and previous owner before that had done lots such as thicker anti roll bars, diff poly bushes and subframe spacers etc. 

The handling is now more precise, you get more feedback through the wheel, all aspects of the suspension just feel brand new, which is invaluable. This coupled with the Michellin PS4 tyres results in perfect launches off the lights every time 😎. I have however noticed that the rear end does not absorb bumps at high speed well, so I'm going to reduce the stiffness of them next week, which should sort the problem out (they've got adjustable top hats thankfully!). The coilovers were set up by the previous owner to make up for the slack in the old bushes. Now they've all been replaced and that there is no more slack, I believe this is why the rear end is too stiff. Going off on a tangent now, but in short, yes renewing the suspension parts has reduced the softness a little, but after the coils adjustment, it should be what it was before + lots more feedback and confidence. 

Ah yes the Veilsides - it was a shame as they're a gorgeous wheel and super rare, but yeah I tried everywhere in the UK that was well known and no one could help 😞 Happy with the JR's though, although not as special wheel in terms of rarity, they suit the car perfectly. That place in NW London I used loads before is called First Aid Wheels - they're great for modern cars, I used to use their exchange service which is fantastic. They seem to do loads of high end cars too. 

When I was a kid, my older brother had a Skyline with the same colour Veilside Andrews wheels as yours - used to polish up so nice and shiny. Hows your car going so far everything ok?? Looks super clean and in great condition. 

2 hours ago, naz27 said:

Thanks for the positive feedback - glad to hear you've enjoyed it! 

Yeah the blue really pops when waxed and kept in good condition, hence why I keep it so shiny haha 😄

Definitely is the best way to do things, especially on older cars. Hopefully now though, after the trip to Jim's, it will finally be time for the respray - I've got a spare bed at home filled with the parts waiting to go on!

My Zed has always handled excellently and also always been on the stiff side, which I like as I use her for fast drives a lot - also don't have speed bumps near me so that helps hah! The previous owner had fitted new BC racing coilovers, deleted hicas, replaced a few bushes and previous owner before that had done lots such as thicker anti roll bars, diff poly bushes and subframe spacers etc. 

The handling is now more precise, you get more feedback through the wheel, all aspects of the suspension just feel brand new, which is invaluable. This coupled with the Michellin PS4 tyres results in perfect launches off the lights every time 😎. I have however noticed that the rear end does not absorb bumps at high speed well, so I'm going to reduce the stiffness of them next week, which should sort the problem out (they've got adjustable top hats thankfully!). The coilovers were set up by the previous owner to make up for the slack in the old bushes. Now they've all been replaced and that there is no more slack, I believe this is why the rear end is too stiff. Going off on a tangent now, but in short, yes renewing the suspension parts has reduced the softness a little, but after the coils adjustment, it should be what it was before + lots more feedback and confidence. 

Ah yes the Veilsides - it was a shame as they're a gorgeous wheel and super rare, but yeah I tried everywhere in the UK that was well known and no one could help 😞 Happy with the JR's though, although not as special wheel in terms of rarity, they suit the car perfectly. That place in NW London I used loads before is called First Aid Wheels - they're great for modern cars, I used to use their exchange service which is fantastic. They seem to do loads of high end cars too. 

When I was a kid, my older brother had a Skyline with the same colour Veilside Andrews wheels as yours - used to polish up so nice and shiny. Hows your car going so far everything ok?? Looks super clean and in great condition. 

That's always the way - if you've got some space, it'll soon get filled with car parts!

Good to hear the handling is on point after the series of upgrades. It's always the case that some of the comfort is traded-off for a more positive feel/ response of the steering and handling. 

I was thinking of getting the Michellin PS4s, but opted for the Goodyear Eagle F1s as I had pretty good results from them previously. They both seem to always be at the top, although the PS4s just take it!

Once it's back from PowerZed, it should be all goooood! It's like taking the car to a spa and returning rejuvenated.

Ahh, so it's the same place - First Aid Wheels. Mine are currently there now getting a refurb due to air leaks between the split bits and the paint flaking off. I've gone for keeping them with silver faces and polished lips though.

Thanks! Other than getting the wheels done, I can't foresee anything else to do other than the maintenance. Hopefully, it'll get driven a bit over the summer, 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2021 at 23:25, mister_fcx said:

That's always the way - if you've got some space, it'll soon get filled with car parts!

Good to hear the handling is on point after the series of upgrades. It's always the case that some of the comfort is traded-off for a more positive feel/ response of the steering and handling. 

I was thinking of getting the Michellin PS4s, but opted for the Goodyear Eagle F1s as I had pretty good results from them previously. They both seem to always be at the top, although the PS4s just take it!

Once it's back from PowerZed, it should be all goooood! It's like taking the car to a spa and returning rejuvenated.

Ahh, so it's the same place - First Aid Wheels. Mine are currently there now getting a refurb due to air leaks between the split bits and the paint flaking off. I've gone for keeping them with silver faces and polished lips though.

Thanks! Other than getting the wheels done, I can't foresee anything else to do other than the maintenance. Hopefully, it'll get driven a bit over the summer, 

That's good to hear - glad your car is in a solid state so no more works to do for now. Guess it's such low mileage, must feel so fresh. 

The tyres do make the world of difference - had Nexens on the back from the previous owner and I'd always spin the rears off the lights, but no more now though hurray! 

Great about the wheels - the polished lip looked fantastic when waxed. That shop will do a great job, I've used them 3-4 times in the past and top notch every time. My service history file had a few air leak repairs on the old Veilsides from the past owner - guess it's part of owning older split rims on unforgiving UK roads!

Post up some pictures when you've got the wheels back - would be great to see them. 

On 12/04/2021 at 22:03, naz27 said:

That's good to hear - glad your car is in a solid state so no more works to do for now. Guess it's such low mileage, must feel so fresh. 

The tyres do make the world of difference - had Nexens on the back from the previous owner and I'd always spin the rears off the lights, but no more now though hurray! 

Great about the wheels - the polished lip looked fantastic when waxed. That shop will do a great job, I've used them 3-4 times in the past and top notch every time. My service history file had a few air leak repairs on the old Veilsides from the past owner - guess it's part of owning older split rims on unforgiving UK roads!

Post up some pictures when you've got the wheels back - would be great to see them. 

Sometimes I just stare at it and think 'it's barely been used. I've gotta keep it in the condition it's in!'

Spinning is okay as long as you intend for it! 

I'll post up some pictures once they're back, but not having much of a 'positive' (if that's the right term) experience with them at the minute. I'm hoping it's just because they're busy and I've got really high expectations based on reviews. But hopefully, it should all turn out good, 

Sometimes I just stare at it and think 'it's barely been used. I've gotta keep it in the condition it's in!'
Spinning is okay as long as you intend for it! 
I'll post up some pictures once they're back, but not having much of a 'positive' (if that's the right term) experience with them at the minute. I'm hoping it's just because they're busy and I've got really high expectations based on reviews. But hopefully, it should all turn out good, 

Yeah that definitely is a dilemma faced by a lot of owners of special cars that have low mileage.

Ah that’s a shame about the wheel shop - I can only assume it’s because they’re super busy right now. A lot of car enhancement shops seem so busy now - must be the positive attitude of coming out of lockdown getting people doing up their cars for summer etc. Their workmanship is excellent, so although they might be a pain right now to deal with, the final product will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, naz27 said:

Yeah that definitely is a dilemma faced by a lot of owners of special cars that have low mileage.

Ah that’s a shame about the wheel shop - I can only assume it’s because they’re super busy right now. A lot of car enhancement shops seem so busy now - must be the positive attitude of coming out of lockdown getting people doing up their cars for summer etc. Their workmanship is excellent, so although they might be a pain right now to deal with, the final product will be worth it.

That's what I'm thinking, as lockdown is now opening up, everyone's getting their cars sorted!

The reviews are excellent. I'm hoping everything should be okay. It's reassuring to hear from someone that has used them a few times in the past,

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, naz27 said:

Ah dammit emoji2959.png Note to self - Must stop rushing through last minute additions to my order!

Thanks for the watchful eye as always Andrew.

AMS do RHD ones. 

Though as with most AMS items I would guess that quality is hit and miss. 

On 24/04/2021 at 09:43, naz27 said:

Ah dammit emoji2959.png Note to self - Must stop rushing through last minute additions to my order!

Thanks for the watchful eye as always Andrew.

LOL - I made the same mistake Naz.....😉

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

A long overdue update… 

Around the New Year, the front K-Sport callipers were causing the front end to move around at motorway speeds – felt like sticky callipers on one side. I put this down to lack of use over the previous few months and the fact they’re a track brake kit, around 11 years old, having been used through rain and road dirt – apparently their seals aren’t the best for road/wet road usage long-term. We tried cleaning them out which helped a little, but the issue didn’t go away really.  

Rather than mess around finding a shop to rebuild them, with the chance of paying around £500 for a refurb and the shop not doing a good job, I opted to get a new set. My ideal brakes were always the Akebono’s, ever since Jim showed me a set last year. I like the fact that they are OEM equipment, so readily available parts from everywhere, they’re huge and they perform fantastically with little to no fade. I had tried one of the Akebono template fitment kits which confirmed they wouldn’t fit my front wheels, so I decided against them. Now to find an alternative solution…

I didn’t want to spend Brembo/AP Racing money or buy anything used, so opted for the tried and tested route with this car and bought another set of K-Sports, with the Ferodo DS2500 pads. I ordered early March and got them early April and fitted them 2-3 days before going to PowerZed. 

IMG_9148.jpeg

IMG_8744.jpeg

IMG_8745.jpeg

IMG_8747.jpeg

IMG_8808.jpeg

IMG_8809.jpeg

Edited by naz27

Posted (edited)

At PowerZed I had various works completed as mentioned earlier in the thread but just a quick refresher here; the new OEM wiring loom, series 2 CAS, new Knock sensor and sub-harness, new fuel damper, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. 

I had a minor engine oil leak which was resolved. It ended up being the rear sump seal. My rear main seal was done only 3-4 years ago – Z1 sell a 2-piece kit with the rear main seal and rear sump seal, so well worth doing both in one hit - link: https://www.z1motorsports.com/piston-crankshaft-and-flywheel/nissan/300zx-z32-rear-main-seal-kit-pcs-p-1898.html.

I actually bought the 3-piece kit with the rear main seal retainer gasket, but just seen they’ve discontinued the retainer gasket! A cold engine stalling issue was resolved and a low cold start idle was also temporarily resolved. 

On collection day, I was talking to Jim about doing the rear brakes one day. Andy (Phutumsch)’s car fitted with Akebono’s was conveniently up on stands. He ended up test fitting one of my front wheels onto Andy’s car quickly to see if it would clear - with the 10mm spacer he had on there already, it turns out they will clear the wheels! I was ecstatic 😃 What made it even better was, the cost of all 4 brakes complete, was the same price as the new K-Sport front’s that I’d just put on the car!! 

There’s a company named Rockauto in the states who sell fully remanufactured Akebono callipers, which Jim’s fitted before, so can confirm the quality. I ended up going for these and they arrived a couple of weeks ago. I bought the centric posi-quiet pads (Jim advised), discs, H&R wheel spacers/studs, adaptor brackets and hoses from CZP. The CZP adapter brackets get you more clearance than the Z1 alternatives. The next step is to paint the callipers gloss black and put some new Akebono stickers on them, followed by a final clear coat. This shall be done over the next few weeks with photos to follow. She is booked back in with Jim at the end of June. 

IMG_9484.jpeg

IMG_9485.jpeg

IMG_9486.jpeg

IMG_9489.jpeg

IMG_9490.jpeg

IMG_9491.jpeg

IMG_9492.jpeg

IMG_9493.jpeg

IMG_9494.jpeg

IMG_9495.jpeg

IMG_9497.jpeg

IMG_9498.jpeg

IMG_9499.jpeg

IMG_9500.jpeg

Edited by naz27
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

The new K-Sports at this point seemed like a bloody expensive mistake, but hey, you can’t win them all. I’ll put them up for sale soon. I’ve managed to sell the old faulty K-Sport’s already, and for a decent sum. With the sale of the stock rear brakes that are popular with the Nissan 200sx’s, I should be made whole, so not too shabby in the end.

Edited by naz27

Onto a historic issue with this car – the cold start rough idle and the ECU/Nistune (a lot of detail to this so I’ll keep it as short as possible!!). When I came to collect the car, Jim let me know he had real trouble setting up the timing after the fitment of the new CAS. He had spoken to Protuner (who previously tuned the car on the new 740cc injectors) and it turns out that they had to retard the timing quite a bit (car didn’t like the stock 15 degrees BTDC timing set up). 

The previous owner posted on the forum about the issues. In short, some of the comments from the club guru’s pointed towards a checklist of items to go through or replace – he had replaced all of the possible cause parts or carried out the recommended procedures. The forum members also mentioned that this car’s symptoms matched those of cars fitted with a dodgy batch of Nistunes, that were in circulation in the past. To rule out the ECU itself, the previous owner had swapped it out for another known good one, with no benefit.

In addition to the above, I believe the car had been tuned by Turbonoz at some point (back when people didn’t know who he really was!). Overall it seems highly, highly likely the Nistune is at fault then. 

As with most aspects of this car, I don’t want to mess about trying to keep the outdated and limited OEM ECU / Nistune set up, so I’ve put a deposit down in May with Protuner for a new Link G4X ECU and a full rolling road set up/mapping session at the end of August (their earliest slot!!). This should hopefully resolve the issues once and for all. If the issues still persist, the ECU will at least provide the modern level of monitoring and diagnostics to hopefully tell us exactly what the issue is. As a bonus, it should push the car from its current 390bhp over that magic 400bhp mark, as the selin dual maf set up was fitted after the 390bhp map was carried out.

A bit of a surprise but when Jim was replacing the rear main seal and sump seals, obviously the gearbox has to come off, and when doing so, he noticed the RPS max street clutch and Speciality Z flywheel I fitted early June last year was 2/3 worn through already! I think I may have counted a lot of motorway driving as ‘running in’ miles, whereas it should be town driving miles where they get a lot of use. Those traffic light launches therefore came a bit too early! Anyway lesson painfully learnt! Replacement clutch and flywheel re-build kit bought and awaiting fitment at Jims along with the brakes. 

I think it’s safe to say the respray is on hold until early next year due to all of the above!!! Jim highly recommended a company (much better than my local bodyshop) who are in Bristol named Dream Bodyworkz, so this delay may have been a blessing in disguise. They did Mattpurplez32’s beautiful zed (one of my favourites in the UK), and are currently doing another forum members car, as well as having repainted barn find 10k mile Z32’s etc. They’ve done a TK3 blue car owned by Ellie Calienda who I don’t know but aware she’s been around for a while. The photos of her car are like glass as they use this super thick clear coat as well as their hours and hours of prep work, building up the paint, polishing, blocking etc. They will do all of the fitment of the targa trims, rubbers, windscreen seals and are OCD about their work, so it’s safe to say that I am sold. I will chat to him very soon and hopefully get booked in for early next year.

• Like 1

• Gaz 300 changed the title to 300ZX TT - A18GCK
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.