Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I think I prefer the OEM spoiler out of those 2 to be honest. 

Though I can see the appeal in the Twinz one

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nismo bushes came today woohoo . Whatever bushes Nismo didn’t sell, I sourced energy suspension ones. Shipping was quite impressive - CZP came in 3 working days as usual and Greenline motorsports Japa

So over the last 3-4 days, I applied the best leather care product on the market - Leatherique rejuvenator oil. Here’s the video link from where I learned how to use this stuff - very good and clear

After the 99 spec headlights were fitted, the driving lights/side lights were still the original halogens, which obviously looked a bit off. I liked the look of RichardS’s car driving light bulbs so p

Posted Images

I like the OEM look better, but all depends on your style.

 

Hopefully the caliper/pads just need loosened off and put back together.

 

Common problem when any car isn't used much, I had to exercise them after every winter to keep them operating nicely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers guys and yes it’s a difficult one as I’m not a purist, I’m aiming more for OEM+, modernising the car whilst maintaining the Z’s character. Will have a ponder and update with a decision when parts ordered for respray.

Darren - we’re thinking that’s all it needs really; a tear down, grease and put back together, so hopefully goes ok today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the OEM spoiler too - however I would have the Type 1 over the fibre-glass replica-OEM spoiler.

I have the replica myself and having seen the real OEM version on Simon's, Andrew's and Gary's (GSC's) cars, it just accentuates how poorly the fibre-glass version sits on the tailgate.

So my tuppence worth, ditch the replica and try to buy a real OEM spoiler (about £700 from Nissan) - or go with the Type 1. I should have done that myself back in 2018, so I'm not ruling it out for 2021...........?

  • Like 2

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RichardS said:

I like the OEM spoiler too - however I would have the Type 1 over the fibre-glass replica-OEM spoiler.

I have the replica myself and having seen the real OEM version on Simon's, Andrew's and Gary's (GSC's) cars, it just accentuates how poorly the fibre-glass version sits on the tailgate.

So my tuppence worth, ditch the replica and try to buy a real OEM spoiler (about £700 from Nissan) - or go with the Type 1. I should have done that myself back in 2018, so I'm not ruling it out for 2021...........?

I mirror Richard’s sentiments. The OEM spoiler does definitely give the rear end a slightly more “beefy” look but the TwinZ is a bit more sleek. You can’t beat the finish of an undamaged OEM version but a TwinZ product is probably the best finish/quality you’ll find outside the OEM option. For me, you can’t really go wrong with either of your options and if your OEM spoiler isn’t water damaged then you could save yourself a nice wedge of cash. Otherwise, it could well come down to the availability of an OEM one that could swing your decision! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK new OEM '89 spec spoilers are NLA (at least in Europe). I was lucky enought to get a new one from Nissan's European stock and at least two other members managed to do the same shortly afterwards. They may still be available from Japan (try jp-carparts.com). Don't give up on getting a s/h spoiler in undamaged condition as I have seen OEM '89 specs spoilers off old wrecks that are in A1 condition. How or why they have remained that way I have no idea, but they do survive. It all depends on how long you are prepared to wait. If you do manage to get one then I can show you how to mount it on the tailgate with the maximum protection to avoid the water damage which kills them.

Part# J6030-42P25

941028471_IMG_20160712_2019122s.jpg.ffc76e95435a48ae7a6c93fcd8610209.jpg

Edited by AndrewG
  • Like 1

1632756191_IsaoSono300ZXZ32s30thcompactwhitebg.jpg.927186fb96ce93f9d57642837cfd17d2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the feedback - appreciated as always .

Still not sure on what one I prefer to be honest, so will keep looking at images and hopefully decide in the next month or so. Have always liked twin z design stuff. I’ve got the 99 spec front end going on - been sat in my spare room since March!

Joel - read through your project thread and such a shame that Autoresto firm
who did the LED’s have stopped trading, as I would 100% have had the tail lights converted.

Andrew - thanks for the feedback and offer; I do remember seeing on your project thread I believe, the spoiler fitment modification to prevent that water ingress/rot. Will get in touch about this if I go the oem route.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my up and over spoilers because I think they look cool and remind me of the posters I had on my walls as a kid! I like the way mine echo the shape of the cabin and almost extend the sides of the cars in my mind, When I look I see something almost like this:

198be7d00a8625ce267f957595d2ab69_L.jpg.845b0922bbc28c557aacef51bbcae7f7.jpg

and that is friggin' cool....!

Also the last reason I like up and over spoilers is because Im a complete kid inside and I want to feel like im 7 again when I jump in a sports car!???

At the end of the day, its your car, you do what you want to it. Being different makes the world go round.... embrace it!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheRealNips said:

I like my up and over spoilers because I think they look cool and remind me of the posters I had on my walls as a kid! I like the way mine echo the shape of the cabin and almost extend the sides of the cars in my mind, When I look I see something almost like this:

198be7d00a8625ce267f957595d2ab69_L.jpg.845b0922bbc28c557aacef51bbcae7f7.jpg

and that is friggin' cool....!

Also the last reason I like up and over spoilers is because Im a complete kid inside and I want to feel like im 7 again when I jump in a sports car!???

At the end of the day, its your car, you do what you want to it. Being different makes the world go round.... embrace it!

Haha cheers mate, good to have a balance of opinions. Yeah I guess I'll look at all the options available to suit the style in my head and go from there - need to do some more research really.

How's your car doing by the way did you end up doing the subframe works and did you sort your heater in the end? (saw a post on it couple weeks back). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, naz27 said:

Haha cheers mate, good to have a balance of opinions. Yeah I guess I'll look at all the options available to suit the style in my head and go from there - need to do some more research really.

How's your car doing by the way did you end up doing the subframe works and did you sort your heater in the end? (saw a post on it couple weeks back). 

The subframe is all ready to go, but still waiting on the arms from driftworks, January hopefully! I haven't done the thermostat as been pulling double shifts over the Christmas period, I have Sunday/Monday off, so hopefully will do it then. I have the service manual so hopefully won't screw it up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
The subframe is all ready to go, but still waiting on the arms from driftworks, January hopefully! I haven't done the thermostat as been pulling double shifts over the Christmas period, I have Sunday/Monday off, so hopefully will do it then. I have the service manual so hopefully won't screw it up!

Ah sounds good, it’s a job that’ll definitely be worth doing - post up some pictures when you’re done. Good luck with the thermostat - heating is oh so helpful in this weather!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

In preparation for the full respray, I just placed the order with Amayama for the following;

- full new front and rear windscreen seals 

- full roof seals and centre black t-bar

- new targa seals (both a-pillar and targa straight sections)

- new reg plate lenses (mine are burnt/cracked)

- oem windscreen sealant 

Next job will be to place the order with Z1 Motorsports for;

- Twin Z rear spoiler (I fell in love with these ones in the end!) 

- new scuttle panels  

- new fog lights 

- Twin Turbo rear decal

 

Annoyingly the Twin Z Type 1 spoiler is out of stock until May but they have the Type 2 in stock. Will have a good look round to see if I like the Type 2 - if I do, then will go for that one. My bodyshop has got a slot for April so ideally would like to get the respray done then, so I got the Zed to enjoy from the start of May onwards in the (hopefully) good weather!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment, the Zed is sat on my driveway under a made to measure cover. Not too happy with keeping it on the driveway under a cover. My garage is just about too short to fit the Zed in, not to mention filled with shelving and stuff. Going to relocate my garage to another side of the garden as it's a pre-fab one so is bolted together, and plan is to build an enclosed car port. I can then detail my cars in peace, not having to fight the weather! And also I can then store the Zed over winter in there, with some power routed too, to keep it on a trickle charge. 

Hopefully get this done while it's getting the respray, so should have a nice home to come back to!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be an alternative supplier for your back end decals

https://blasterzgarage.com/products/90-93-rear-spoiler-decal-set?variant=32631522197635

Not sure how the price compares to Z1. 

And these https://zspecdesign.com/zspec-factory-style-cowl-scuttle-panel-plastic-clip-set-fits-90-96-300zx for the scuttle/cowl securing. Although I think Z1 sell Zspec ones too. I know CZP sell them. 

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, naz27 said:

In preparation for the full respray, I just placed the order with Amayama for the following;

- full new front and rear windscreen seals 

- full roof seals and centre black t-bar

- new targa seals (both a-pillar and targa straight sections)

- new reg plate lenses (mine are burnt/cracked)

- oem windscreen sealant 

Next job will be to place the order with Z1 Motorsports for;

- Twin Z rear spoiler (I fell in love with these ones in the end!) 

- new scuttle panels  

- new fog lights 

- Twin Turbo rear decal

 

Annoyingly the Twin Z Type 1 spoiler is out of stock until May but they have the Type 2 in stock. Will have a good look round to see if I like the Type 2 - if I do, then will go for that one. My bodyshop has got a slot for April so ideally would like to get the respray done then, so I got the Zed to enjoy from the start of May onwards in the (hopefully) good weather!

Wow - that is going to be an amazing car when you have finished Naz........!!!

  • Love 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 19:58, Lexx said:

This might be an alternative supplier for your back end decals

https://blasterzgarage.com/products/90-93-rear-spoiler-decal-set?variant=32631522197635

Not sure how the price compares to Z1. 

And these https://zspecdesign.com/zspec-factory-style-cowl-scuttle-panel-plastic-clip-set-fits-90-96-300zx for the scuttle/cowl securing. Although I think Z1 sell Zspec ones too. I know CZP sell them. 

Cheers for that. I remember reading about them before but completely forgot about them. I've seen some of their bits on Z1 and if I go for the OEM replica rear wing, which isn't ruled out yet, as I'm constantly changing my mind, they do the entire 90-93 black strip with decals - great value too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 20:46, RichardS said:

Wow - that is going to be an amazing car when you have finished Naz........!!!

Hopefully will be as clean as I can make it! After the respray, other than some maintenance stuff like a replacement wiring loom/ac compressor, that'll probably be it for this year (or so he says as he eyes up the Z1/CZP catalogues!!). Just really looking forward to driving it loads over summer. 

Retrim will have to wait until next year.

@AndrewG I will definitely be fitting the 99 front bumper now, so can shift those front indicator units onto you if you'd still like? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I've put the respray back by a month or so, in order to get some essential repairs and maintenance done - driving her a lot over summer is my priority over perfect paintwork. Thankfully Jimmer has a slot coming up in a few weeks, so taking her down there and hopefully get everything sorted.  

Some pressing matters that need sorting are;

We changed the oil a couple of weeks ago and noticed an oil leak from the back of the engine. In addition to this, last October  (as per a previous post of mine) just before I took the Zed for the chassis/bushes works, I noticed the drivers floor getting wet after a long drive. At the time, there was on and off rain, so was difficult to work out whether it was an engine leak or rainwater ingress. With little time before dropping her off to the chassis shop and no access to my garage to store her, I stripped the drivers side carpet out on my driveway, dried the floor out - the leaking liquid was clear and smell free to make it even harder to diagnose! I took the fuse box out to access the targa drain outlet as these can get disconnected - this turned out to be connected but I cable tied the join to the outlet to future proof. All fluids like brake fluid appeared to be ok so couldn't tell what was leaking. Ended up running out of time and dropped her off for the chassis work. After that, she sat for Dec, Jan and early Feb to avoid road salt. 

I'd forgotten about the issue until March when I started driving her more and noticed the wet floor again. I checked the fluids and the coolant appeared to be on the low end, so assuming it is heater core related. The passenger floor however is bone dry - normally passenger side gets wet when its the heater core. Anyhow, without a garage to take the car apart in to diagnose, I've given up and hoping Jim can sort it out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The preventative maintenance works which I originally planned to get done in October (before these leaks cropped up), are as follows;

- New OEM LHD 95 wiring harness; RHD are discontinued and Jim advised against any other aftermarket ones. LHD are longer but do fit. 

- Series 2 CAS to suit the 95 harness. I noticed the connector pins on my CAS looked smooth but corroded in colour, so thought may as well replace with new whilst I'm there. 

- OEM knock sensor and sub-harness 

- Fuel pressure regulator and fuel damper (I have the original almost black coloured items so should be replaced really!)

- Fuel filter 

- New brake master cylinder brace 

- Replacement brake hard lines from both front callipers as they had some minor surface rust, which I sanded off, covered in rust buster epoxy for now. They had some pitting in them, so thought best to replace. 

My engine idle when cold has always been terrible. The previous owner tried to resolve it by changing a lot of parts on the usual suspects list such as O2 sensors, coolant temp sensors, spark plugs, but gave up after spending a lot. I've asked Jim to investigate this as it has now gotten worse. I also had an issue with my rear fog light coming on with my headlights! Hopefully this can get sorted too.

The aim with the new wiring harnesses and fuel system items, is to ensure the Zed is as healthy as possible, to give me peace of mind, as she will be used regularly until road salt season comes around again. I'm also trying to do the whole modifying thing the correct way around, ensuring the base is solid before building the engine.   

Edited by naz27
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Always a good idea!

Indeed . Should hopefully be some of the last works I need to do, to get the car to a solid state hurrah! Everything else has been done either by myself or previous owners.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last month I took the zed for an oil change and also to take the fuel tank straps off, as I noticed a tiny bit of rust under the tank straps. When I had the suspension bits blasted and painted, I specifically told them to check the tank under the straps, as I’d seen on the forum someone mention they had rust creep up there out of nowhere, which made me a bit paranoid. They blasted and painted the tank straps but didn’t tell me about this rust, which has peed me off .

Anyway, I got a wire brush on one of those mechanics air compressor fed drills, and blasted the rust away, as per pics. I think these pics were taken part way through the sanding. The rest of the tank is mint as it’s been undersealed very throughly by previous owners thankfully.

There’s a fair amount of pitting in the metal. I covered this area with rustbuster epoxy EM121 to keep it going for now, and left it to harden. I’ve dealt with rust before but never with the metal this pitted.

Do you think with this pitting that the tank will be ok? Or will the rust restart eating away again? Would appreciate your thoughts guys







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_8553.jpgIMG_8552.jpg
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use