Suspension Upgrade Advice

So I am going to upgrade my suspension (shocks, arms, bushes), I've done some research and found that the TEIN VSN22-C1SS3 FLEX Z seem pretty good and are just in budget. Does anyone have any experience of them? I did look at the street advance Z (cheaper), but they are missing the top hat bit (you reuse the OEM one) and I would rather have all new components and I dont have the tools to be releasing springs off shocks.

I've been looking at Driftworks adjustable arms (https://www.driftworks.com/suspension/adjustable-arms/?car_make=nissan&car_model=300zx-z32) and have compiled a list of components using this blog: https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/suspension-101-300zx-edition/ and I think I need:

• Front Tension Rod
  • Front Lower Control Arm
  • Front Upper Control Arm
  • Rear Lower Control Arm
  • Rear Upper control Arm
  • Rear Traction Rod
  • Rear Toe Rod

Has anyone used driftworks before? Is this everything I need? Most of the bits seem to come with new bushes already installed which is helpful, but is there anything else I will need? Also I am planning to do the work myself and then get it setup by an expert, is that possible/safe/stupid?

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I actually have a set of tein flex z and full driftworks arms with rose joints. Looking at whats online i seem to have old style ones full orange not black, nit sure if they would be any different or just the colour differs now. I have done only a few miles on it and i found it surprisingly stable and even comfortable to some extent and no audible noise was coming from suspension. It felt a lot more stable and less bumpy than my other z with standard tired suspension (only arb bushes worn, so not nackered suspension). Just so you know with flex z you will still need to reuse top parts of shocks. Atleast I had to 2 years ago when fitted. You can replace all of them yourself as long as you are not afraid of a broken bolt. But will definatelly need to be set up by a professional. If you decide to go with a rose joint suspension. Consider adding uprated tie rod ends just to make steering feel like suspension. Japspeed makes them. If you want any pictures to see how the whole thing looks let me know.

• Like 1

Pictures would be really helpful, so yes please! I had to google rose joint, but I know what you mean now. Yes I am going down that road, so will look into tie rod ends, thanks for the tip. From my research the Flex Z comes with everything you need, unless I am missing something?

TEIN Street Flex Z Coilovers

As their most popular top-of-the-line coilover, the TEIN Flex Z Coilovers are still made in Yokohama Japan and are a true JDM coilover system packed with all of TEIN’s technology. This system incorporates the 16 way adjustable twin tube shocks and includes TEIN top mounts. TEIN pre-assembles these (though check pre-load before installing), so these are easier to install since you don’t have to disassemble your factory shock and spring to remove the top mount. Many applications, depending on suspension design, also include front camber plates to give you a full race suspension with plenty of adjustability for anything from the occasional weekend track enthusiast to competition use.

https://uk.tein.com/product/flex_z.html

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

I only have positive things to say about Driftworks. They’re a very very well known company in the jap car world and their drift cars are world famous.

The previous owner fitted a hicas lock out bar as well as lots of adjustable suspension and bushes from them on the rear end of my car. The suspension is absolutely solid and all works great so no complaints. I’ve also just bought new wheels and wheel nuts from them. They have a very helpful team as I spoke with them loads about my wheel offsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just think about the spring rating a bit. Tein have a habit of whacking in some heavy springs. I think mine were like 12/10kg, that combined with the rest of my set up made the car lovely on flat smooth tarmac, any hint of a bump or rough surface as it was crap. I don’t just mean harsh, I mean traction was poor. 
I switched out to 6/4kg and the cars noticeably more compliant and quicker in the real world.