Speedo swap and mileometer

I finally got round to swapping my intermittent clocks for a UK set I bought months ago. 

I used to know all this, but it's been a few years and my brain is older and smaller

It turns out what I was sold as a series one UK set is actually a series two, so it doesn't just swap out the hole unit ?

So I'm swapping the speedo unit over, that's easy enough. What I can't remember is the mileometer. I think the mileometer is fed from the output of the speedo unit (via the plug on the back) so swapping in a UK speedo into jap clocks will convert the mileometer into miles automatically? 

Does this sound right? 

Or do I need to also swap in the UK mileometer (and therefore wind it to the correct value) 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was under the impression that you have to put a uk speed drive gear in the gearbox to convert odometer to Miles.

Edited by Bones28

2002 Porsche C2 996 3.6 
1991 Nissan 300zx TT Project

1995 Nissan 300zx TT Crashed 🥲

1997 Jaguar XK8 Scraped ☹️

When I swapped my clocks over, i did something similar to this:

I took it apart and then spun the small white cog in the right direction until it matched the mileage on the old clocks. I didnt have a motor, so did it by hand. I pulled out the metal rod with the two white cogs on out and then the number wheels will spin freely, However make sure that all the teeth aline when putting it back together. The teeth between the number wheels have different sized grooves so that when the 1 wheel resets to zero, the 10 wheel turns to one. That has a different groove so that when the 10 resets to zero, the 100 wheel turns to one without affecting the 10 or the 1 wheels and so on with the 1000/10,000/100,000 wheels. There are little white lever arms that turn the wheels at the right time. Spins the wheels until you get close to your mileage ( I was within a couple of miles) line all the wheels up, line all the teeth up and then use pliers to squeeze the metal rod in place, then spin the small white cog until its gets to your mileage and also to test that all the teeth are working and that in a 1000 miles it doesn't jam as you didnt line up one cog.

It sounds easy, but it took me most of an evening to get right. The video below seems much better, I havent tried it though.

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

If you go from auto to manual, or manual to auto you have have to change the speedo cable over because they are specific to the oiutput speed depending on  the type of gearbox

Further If it's a Jspec car you also need a special chip installing on the back of the speedo to convert the speedo to Miles from Km. This also opens up the max speed because Jspec were limited to 112 mph

Hope this makes it clear

Edited by TonyB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Black-zed said:

this has been covered before the km milometer will still register km's regardless of the speedo attached, if you compare the km milometre to the uk milmeter you will see the size of the cogs are different. 

I can confirm this is true, having put it all back together I have speed in mph and distance in km. Time to take it all out again. 

I did search forum and faq for ages but couldn't find anything 

Edited by ianl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, TonyB said:

If you go from auto to manual, or manual to auto you have have to change the speedo cable over because they are specific to the oiutput speed depending on  the type of gearbox

Further If it's a Jspec car you also need a special chip installing on the back of the speedo to convert the speedo to Miles from Km. This also opens up the max speed because Jspec were limited to 112 mph

Hope this makes it clear

Sorry, but most of your advice is just wrong. 

There is no mechanical cable from gearbox to speedo 

There is no cable to change on converting auto manual (you use the speed sensor of the gearbox your using (tt and na speed sensors are different)) 

I'm fitting a UK speedo so I don't need a converter chip, a UK speedo reeds mph in a jap car, that's specifically why I'm fitting a UK speedo to get rid of unreliable chips (there are also other ways of converting without a chip _ new dial or replacing resistor) 

Jap spec are limited to 120 mph as stock

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, every time the speedo drops to 0mph it makes a single bong noise. 

I don't want to fix this by unplugging the bonger as I want to keep the bong when you leave the. Lights on and get out

Has anyone else had this / fixed this, it's not something I've seen mentioned before. I wonder if it's specific to UK speedo in jap clocks or the same for UK clocks in jap car, or some other fault I've created

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I never had a bong when the speedo dropped to zero. The only problem I had was the speedo was inoperable below about 5mph There is a cable driven by the out from the gearbox that is different for auto and manual because when I changed from auto to manual Jeff had to get a speedo drive for the manual and showed me where it went

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I think there are mixed usages of the word "cable" here....no there is obviously no mechanical speedo cable, yes there is an electric cable that goes to the speed sensor. But saying the cable needs to change is wrong - it's the sensor you need to change.

Btw if I were you, I'd be very happy the odometer is still in Km. No messy half and half conversions to do, no writing "oh it's a mixture of miles and km" when you sell it. I'm very happy mines always stayed in km!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Folks generally aren't too concerned with miles on car as old as these, it's more condition than whether half is in miles and half in KMS. Really low mileage cars, yes, but most Z32s no, the focus is always going to be on condition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyB said:

Hope this makes it clear

This is not clear, it only muddies the waters as there is NO speedo cable, I repeat NO speedo cable. It's electronic, the dash takes 100% signal input, there are no mechanical interfaces on the dash cluster. You're thinking of the speed sensor.

Edited by Funkysi
Shite grammar

6 hours ago, ianl said:

Also, every time the speedo drops to 0mph it makes a single bong noise. 

I don't want to fix this by unplugging the bonger as I want to keep the bong when you leave the. Lights on and get out

Has anyone else had this / fixed this, it's not something I've seen mentioned before. I wonder if it's specific to UK speedo in jap clocks or the same for UK clocks in jap car, or some other fault I've created

yes mine does it, apparently it's a trait of swapping to uk clocks

1 hour ago, Joely P said:

I’d much rather have my Z reliably display MPH within a nice UK cluster then worry about resale value of keeping a KPH version.

8fdd3e35c9b67765c057e50031f14108.jpg

We're talking about the odometer, not the speedo. I have a MPH speedo (took ages to find as its series 4) but my odometer has stayed in KM. Just pointing out that the odometer staying in KM is, if anything, better IMO. Certainly not worth putting in any effort to replace it!

Edited by Chris

My vert has always read km, but the slicktop currently reads the true miles as it was adjusted when it was imported, so it makes sense toswap it out so it continues to read miles

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been pondering the bong,

wondering why it might bong at 0mph

wondering if its happens to all uk speedos fitted to jap cars, or only sometimes

could it be where an auto uk speedo is fitted in a manual jap car? And its bonging because its not in park?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]