Sill repair costs (inner and outer)

Lexx

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" question, but I'm wondering if anyone who has had the work done recently has a ball park figure on the cost of inner and outer sill replacement (rear end). 

The car I'm considering defo has rust on the outer, so I will assume there's a chunk of the inner needs work too. 

I can cut and prep myself, but my mig welding ability isn't up to welding in new parts. 

Any price indicators greatly appreciated. 

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

• Trade
On 13/08/2020 at 13:01, Lexx said:

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" question, but I'm wondering if anyone who has had the work done recently has a ball park figure on the cost of inner and outer sill replacement (rear end). 

The car I'm considering defo has rust on the outer, so I will assume there's a chunk of the inner needs work too. 

I can cut and prep myself, but my mig welding ability isn't up to welding in new parts. 

Hi Chap,No respectable welder is going to want to carry on a job you started first i am afraid.

• Like 1
Untitled-1.png

On 13/08/2020 at 13:01, Lexx said:

had mine done a few years ago now, think that cost me £600 or there about, but that ended up rear sills, edges of floor pans and front corners of the floor pans and repairing wing bottoms.  so I would say at least £700 for both now, no point it prepping yourself, just let the welder do it all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmer said:

Hi Chap,No respectable welder is going to want to carry on a job you started first i am afraid.

Fair point, well made. 

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

Why not learn to mig weld. Your only going to be tack welding really, then grinding back the top skin and smoothing it in. It’s unlikely structural really. 
You can do it. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please check here regularly to see up and coming south central events, news and to sign up to the South Central region if you haven't recently via this link;

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?125-South-Central

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Why not learn to mig weld. Your only going to be tack welding really, then grinding back the top skin and smoothing it in. It’s unlikely structural really. 
You can do it. 

it needs to be constant welds not tacked, for one the rear sill is the jacking point for the car and it is classed as structural for an mot as it sits within 30cm of a seatbelt mounting point. 

But you typically wouldn’t run a bead of weld, it would be stitches. You wouldn’t want that much heat going into the metal, particularly on the outer skin. So whilst it will in finality be “a continuous weld” it will be made of dozens of tacks and stitches. The bottom seam is from factory merely spot welded iirc. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please check here regularly to see up and coming south central events, news and to sign up to the South Central region if you haven't recently via this link;

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?125-South-Central