Power steering pump

TheRealNips

So my pump is dieing, it works when it feels like it which is a bit annoying. Ive been looking online for a new pump. Ebay only has a couple of 2nd hand TT versions. Mine is a NA so the pump is different I believe, it doesnt have the extra connections for the HICAS pump. I found this:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/8100193?gshp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-O35BRDVARIsAJU5mQUYKFrFhV_cHhTVprhii57D6tnUgapJz6HGPXwR3M6ml8KuzxNTdjQaApUNEALw_wcB

It looks right, but the website says it wouldnt fit my car. 

Does anyone know where I can get a new pump? I would prefer new or refurbed, however ill take a breaker part if no choice.

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You could also have a go at rebuilding it:

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forums/main/view/1125087/How-to-Rebuild-Your-300zx-Power-Steering-Pump.html

BTW TT's with electric HICAS (later models circa '95/96) use the same PS pump (single chamber) as the NA's. The pulleys

are also different with TT's with hydraulic HICAS using  4-channel pulley/belt whilst the NA's and later TT's with later E. HICAS

have a 3-channel pulley/belt.

Edited by AndrewG

1632756191_IsaoSono300ZXZ32s30thcompactwhitebg.jpg.927186fb96ce93f9d57642837cfd17d2.jpg

Are you sure it’s the pump? I’m sure your aware but there’s an actuator in the rack that applies resistance based on an ECU signal, this is speed based. If there is a fault with this system, the steering goes intermittently heavy. Typically if your Speedo dies it will do this, it’s bloody annoying. 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please check here regularly to see up and coming south central events, news and to sign up to the South Central region if you haven't recently via this link;

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?125-South-Central

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Are you sure it’s the pump? I’m sure your aware but there’s an actuator in the rack that applies resistance based on an ECU signal, this is speed based. If there is a fault with this system, the steering goes intermittently heavy. Typically if your Speedo dies it will do this, it’s bloody annoying. 

Speedo convertors with poor shielding cause this too. 

My Slicktop used to randomly suffer power steering dropout. I tried 2 different convertors - the one in a thicker box meant less drop outs than the pressed/sealed small one. 

Not saying this is the issue here, but as said above it's worth a consideration. 

• Like 1

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

hmmmmm interesting..... For the two+ years I have had the car, the steering has been sometimes light and sometimes heavy. After looking into it last year I came to the conclusion that it was something to do with the actuator/ecu/speed sensor thing. It was mostly heavy, but would go light every so often, on a 90%/10% ratio. I got so used to it being heavy that fixing it was pushed further down my "to do" list.

The other day I was driving back from work and it felt heavier and when you turn it is "clunkier", it doesnt turn smoothly. It seems to be really heavy and not so heavy in fits and starts e.i half way through turning round a roundabout. I figured this is the pump as it is a new thing? Am I correct? I would rather not payout for a new pump/rebuild the pump if I dont have to...

1 hour ago, JaiKai said:

I had similar issue on my last zed and i also thought it was the pump, after checking out the small actuator on the steering rack it turns out to be a broken wire.

The part itself is on the drivers side of the rack.

I will have a good look, thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, jumped in the car the other day to go to work and the power steering is back, its fine. If anything its better than before (it was heavy most of the time and sometimes light, but always working) now it is light most of the time and occasionally heavy. Im thinking that loose cable you guys mentioned is to blame, but has somehow re-connected?

• Like 1