What’s gone wrong with my car?

I was going to change my thermostat the other day but I ended up knocking the yellow wire out of the terminal it was in.

I noticed the cooling fan was now running fast. I pushed the yellow wire back in and restarted and the fan was running normal again.

I found this vw plug so I soldered the wire together and plugged it on. The fan started running fast again. Drove it for about 10 minutes and it all sorted its self out.

Today went out in it revs are at 1500 and won’t settle down. Tap the accelerator the res drop feels like it wants to cut out. I noticed when I got to where I was going I could smell a eggy smell.

Switched the engine off and it wouldn’t restart. Left it for about 15 mins and it finally restarted.

Managed to get it home the fan was running normal speed. I thought I would disconnect the plug to see if anything happened. Now the fan is running fast and I also damaged the other sensor.

I’m also getting a popping from the exhaust like a misfire pop. It’s never done that before.

Can anyone tell me what the sensor are and do

7ca8fa5173bb79b735d940e528e0b2fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Both Coolant temp sensors, one on the left goes to the ECU and the other goes to the gauge cluster.

Okay thanks. Would either of these cause the problems I seem to be having? It’s just strange how it all started after i knocked the yellow wire out of position

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent I will call Luke tomorrow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ECU fault code 13 and Aux Fan (the small electric fan in front of the radiator) running is symptomatic of faulty ECU temp sensor. You can check

the EC code here:

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forums/technical/view/1105629/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-ECU-Diagnostics.html

Your photo shows just one wire connected to the engine temp sensor, there should be two to form the circuit (see below).

FSM Diagnostics for code 13 and faulty ECU temp sensor circuit here:

EFEC 115.pdf

2020-10-11_171249.jpg.c407aa698ae2257f5df8f4ab3c34b9a8.jpg

• Like 1

1632756191_IsaoSono300ZXZ32s30thcompactwhitebg.jpg.927186fb96ce93f9d57642837cfd17d2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I have fixed it. I cut the plug off. Gone back to the red terminals for the moment.   

Edited by Lee M

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]