Reverse lights stuck on with headlights

Hi all,

I’ve got a completely random issue here. Yesterday I noticed when I parked car at work (with headlights off) that my reverse lights are stuck on, then I engaged reverse and back to neutral then they turned off. Tonight I went out and as soon as I turned headlights on, the reverse lights are stuck on. I reversed a couple time’s and went forward and back on my driveway to see if it was the switch getting stuck engaged, but it didn’t turn off, nor during my ten minute journey.

For the past week I’ve also had a very wet drivers side floor under the carpet, I can feel it’s drenched. I’m assuming the bottom of the front targa drain has become disconnected and drained into the floor. I dried it out today with a drive and full blast hot air to floor, followed by a hair dryer all over.

Has anyone experienced the reverse light stuck on issue before? I’m assuming it’s to do with the targa drain leak causing chaos with the electrics, but could it be the reverse switch getting stuck on also?

Tomorrow I’m going to try and remove the driver seat and lift the carpet, to properly dry out under there, to see if it does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Bones28 said:

Definitely check the footwell fuse box for corrosion, but could be a coincidence.

I agree - chances are, it's the cause of the issue..... Good luck Naz!!

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

Thanks Bones and Rich for the wise advice - will check it all out today and see the state of it.

If it is corroded, can you just remove the fuse box and wire brush off the corrosion, then reuse? Or will it need replacement?

Just now, naz27 said:

Thanks Bones and Rich for the wise advice - will check it all out today and see the state of it.

If it is corroded, can you just remove the fuse box and wire brush off the corrosion, then reuse? Or will it need replacement?

Depends how bad the corrosion is - chances are, you can clean and dry it with no issues. Particularly if you have only just noticed a wet footwell, hopefully it's just happened recently. Be sure to reconnect that targa drain though or else it will continue to get wet - and worse!!

• Like 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

I forgot to add, check the connection of the targa drain at the top as well. It could come undone there too, causing water to run down inside the A-pillar and onto the fusebox. Don't assume it's just at the bottom of the pipe😉

• Like 1

I forgot to add, check the connection of the targa drain at the top as well. It could come undone there too, causing water to run down inside the A-pillar and onto the fusebox. Don't assume it's just at the bottom of the pipe

Ah thanks for the previous post and this - much appreciated. Will tear it all apart today and hopefully find the cause.

Thanks lexx for the guide - I found a guide Jeff issued maybe a year before, otherwise there’s no way in hell I’d be able to work out what to do! Probably the most involved and pain in the backside thing I’ve done on a car! Great guide, very very helpful.

Took absolutely ages but no success really.

I wanted to take the fuse box off anyway to rule out corrosion causing the lights issue so it wasn’t a wasted effort, but it turned out to be squeaky clean with no corrosion at all. It had what I believe is a date stamp and Nissan logo for 2009, so I believe it was replaced in 2009. It was dry as well, but that could be because it’s not rained this week and I’ve had the heater on full blast aiming at feet about 4 time’s this week, plus having dried out a little the carpet and floor matt with a hair dryer.

It didn’t rain this week, but I noticed the wet floor first last Saturday. It rained a lot that week, so it must have been caused that week. I saw the bottom targa drain and it was fully connected. I poured water down and nothing dripped onto the floor, so am very confused as to the cause. I need to take off the A pillar because I do have an A pillar pod which is screwed in, that could have pierced the drain - maybe only leaks under heavy rain if the hole
Is tiny, so will pour more water down there to see if it leaks.

The carpet was drenched as was the underlay/insulation, so it’s definitely been caused by water pooling in the footwell, not from above the carpet. I smelt the water and it was so drenched my hand was soaked - it was completely clear and smell free, so that rules out any other fluids; I’ve seen people mention it can be the heater matrix but when it’s that, the passenger side also gets wet they say - the passenger side is bone dry.

So my reverse lights had been re-wired so when reversing, only the right 2 reverse lights illuminate, and the left ones were wired for fog lights, which never actually worked under my ownership. Now what happens is when reversing, the right side and left side really bright fog lights illuminate. When the headlights are on, only the right side reverse lights are stuck on. It could just be a wiring issue, but the water makes me think otherwise - confused!!

I’ve got work Monday to Friday, so will have to then try taking off the A pillar and pouring more water down next weekend, to try and find the source.

Let’s see what happens .

IMG_7569.jpgIMG_7577.png

It's just a case of leaving a hose pouring water over the car, and sitting inside the car to track it, had this on another car years ago, took weeks to find a tiny little hole in the firewall letting water in.

Don't rule out the heater matrix, just in case, you can never rule anything out till you find the culprit.

Can't mind if there are any places where the wiper motor/linkage etc sits where water can get in if holes are blocked, common on other cars, not so sure about the Zed.

• Like 1
On 18/10/2020 at 20:16, naz27 said:

IMG_7569.jpgIMG_7577.png

As Darren (sorry mate!) says, it could be either of those issues - albeit you have pods on the A-pillar, which could be the cause, if whoever fitted them drilled into the drain pipe.

On an unrelated note, you need to get a replacement "Z" centre badge for your steering wheel Naz......😉 

• Like 1

As Dave says, it could be either of those issues - albeit you have pods on the A-pillar, which could be the cause, if whoever fitted them drilled into the drain pipe.
On an unrelated note, you need to get a replacement "Z" centre badge for your steering wheel Naz...... 

Thanks Darren and Richard - yeah I checked the a pillar and it was properly screwed in - not piercing the drain.

It was such a painful job haha because for the first time in my life I’ve hated having long legs and arms!

It wasn’t all a waste of a job though, as I ruled out the fuse box, and I also cable tied both the bottom and top joins to the inlets/outlets of the drains, to future proof them from popping off.

This weekend I’ll get my wife to hold the hose pipe over and I’ll sit in the car, looking out for this leak.

Haha yes good spot Richard! CZP said the red ones were on a long lead in time so I cancelled it off one of my orders. Will get it fitted when I get the full interior retrim done next year.

• Love 1