Short gear shifter

arthur

• Trade

My advice is DO NOT fit one.A alarming number of cars i work on with one fitted have gearbox issues.It will turn your box into a David Brown 6 speed that was fitted into a 1978 Scammell Routemaster.Treat your original shifter to a rebuilt pivot along with new bushes.And if play is still present it is possible the Striker Rod Universal Joints are worn.The striker rod is available new still.

• Like 2
Untitled-1.png

What Jimmer said. I have a short shifter in mine and hate it with a passion. 

Once my suspension and chassis work is done and I turn to the inside of the car my will be getting deep sixed off the back of the boat and replaced with OEM. Hateful things. 

• Love 1

Zed #2: 1998 Midnight Purple 2+2 NA. (owned 2020 - now) 

Zed #1: 1995 Blue Slicktop NA (2013-2015)

For the 34139P-30P00 bushings http://www.ttzd.com/tech/bushingstech.html

As you had a manual conversion, on reassembly make sure that the upper and lower rubber dust boots (pictures 6 and 7 in the guide) are

present and correctly fitted to stop road and transmission noise getting into the cabin.

I see that Z1 do a kit for the pivot rebuild which is nice.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-products/z1-motorsports/z1-300zx-z32-speed-shifter-rebuild-kit-p-3519.html

Edited by AndrewG
  • Love 1

1632756191_IsaoSono300ZXZ32s30thcompactwhitebg.jpg.927186fb96ce93f9d57642837cfd17d2.jpg

• Trade
9 hours ago, arthur said:

Hi Jimmer

thank you for the swift reply.

Is it a job that can be done inside the car? 

Many thanks

arthur

The stick will need removing which is possible from inside,Just !! The striker rod replacement requires the box removing.

Untitled-1.png

36 minutes ago, jimmer said:

The stick will need removing which is possible from inside,Just !! The striker rod replacement requires the box removing.

I had a look see at mine the last time I had the console out a few months back. Jow the hell my elephant paws are supposed to get in there I don't know! Kids will be doing child labour for me I think. 

On a side note Jimmer - what's your preferred method of contact to discuss  booking in a 120km service and a few other bits? 

I've driven a huge number of Z32 over the years, some of them with a 'short throw shifter' fitted and they're absolutely HATEFUL. 

The stock throw is fairly short, the only thing that needs doing is the bushes replacing. You can go for the bronze ones, but honestly, the nicest feeling are a new set of stock nylon bushes.

Short Throw Shifters are about as over rated as Christmas and football.

• Like 1

Sold 10/10/19

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Trade
On 27/12/2020 at 20:43, Lexx said:

I had a look see at mine the last time I had the console out a few months back. Jow the hell my elephant paws are supposed to get in there I don't know! Kids will be doing child labour for me I think. 

On a side note Jimmer - what's your preferred method of contact to discuss  booking in a 120km service and a few other bits? 

When you are ready give me a call or ping me on jimvg30dett@gmail.com

Untitled-1.png

9 hours ago, arthur said:

Hi there all,

Why have you tagged my thread?

Can the committee respond?

art

What tag you referring too? I've just checked the moderating logs there's nothing showing as out of the ordinary.