E10 fuel

just seen an interesting debate about E10 petrol which is due to be the main petrol in the Uk from September, (obviously high octane e5 will still be available) will our cars run on e10 or would it cause damage?  I only ask as I live in a rural area so still getting E5 could be an issue. 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As I understand it super unleaded or minimum 95ron, someone with more knowledge will be able to help you, there might be a supplement you can add.

1991 Nissan 300zx TT 😎
2002 Porsche 996 3.6 project 🤘

1995 Nissan 300zx TT Crashed 😭

1997 Jaguar XK8 Scraped ☹️

Whilst I have a UK spec - and tend to use super only in the hotter months, as regular 95ron is fine most of the time - I will be switching to super UL only from September.

I don't want to run the risk with E10 fuel, just in case. Like many of us, my Zed is a weekend and holiday car, so spending a few extra £s on super UL is worth it for peace of mind.

• Like 2

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

11 hours ago, RichardS said:

Whilst I have a UK spec - and tend to use super only in the hotter months, as regular 95ron is fine most of the time - I will be switching to super UL only from September.

I don't want to run the risk with E10 fuel, just in case. Like many of us, my Zed is a weekend and holiday car, so spending a few extra £s on super UL is worth it for peace of mind.

This..... 👍

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

11 hours ago, RichardS said:

that would be my plan too, although I may need to travel a little further to get hold of super unleaded after sept, but I only tend to do 1000 miles a year so will have to buy fuel whilst out rather than locally. 

Topics of this nature just boil my pee !  the powers that be just will not leave the motorist alone, its not enough that they are trying to force us  all to be driving highly unethical cobalt powered milk floats by 2035 but in the meantime mess with the fuel of our current petrol and diesel engines !  its all political crap anyhow just to fall in with the "green " demand in the world today, lets face  emissions on modern cars both petrol and diesel are so damn good now when compared to the 70`s gas guzzlers. 

My question is,  the 10% bio-fuel part,  what exactly is it made up off and will it have clear standards to abide to?  I can see trouble ahead here, the Government broadly suggesting any cars from the year 2000 are compatible, strange that,  the wife`s  Audi Q5 has a sticker inside the fuel flap, clearly stating to NOT use any bio fuel.

I noticed the Government website that has a very basic car compatible check, has a very clear message that it is the owners responsibility to ensure their car is compatible, yeh lets see how that pans out when cars start having running problems and damaged fuel systems... there is trouble ahead for sure !

Ps Do NOT use bio fuel in your zed, it will kill it !

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Very Interesting I won’t give up my petrol cars without a fight.

• Like 2

1991 Nissan 300zx TT 😎
2002 Porsche 996 3.6 project 🤘

1995 Nissan 300zx TT Crashed 😭

1997 Jaguar XK8 Scraped ☹️

22 hours ago, Bones28 said:

Very Interesting I won’t give up my petrol cars without a fight.

Me neither - and this could be the saving grace....

I mean, let's go back to basics. You decide to take a holiday in the UK using your car - you decide to head south-west in the summer (why not). It's a 300 mile trip and you have an electric car with a range of 300 miles at best. It's hot, so you have your AC on to keep cool - you have a family, so they want to use their i-Pads etc to watch movies, thus need to charge them. You have your mobile plugged in to keep that charged, just in case. You decide you want to make the most of your vacation, rather than waste it on the journey, so you drive a little faster....

...Suddenly that alleged 300 mile range has dropped to 200. You therefore have to stop for a recharge - which takes an hour at least. You roll up to the service station and there's already a line in front of you for the charge points. Make that three hours wasted.

Hell, if only someone would invent a car, which you could drive fast for a few hundred miles and then refuel in 5 minutes, before resuming your journey. A car which you could use in the hottest summer with the AC on full and not suffer from range anxiety......

Wait a moment, what do we have already....😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have something to say............ It's better to burn out than to fade away..... :tt2:

I couldn’t agree with you more Richard. I can understand the appeal of electric for using in your local town or popping to the shops but other than that, petrol/diesel all the way for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love 1

2 hours ago, RichardS said:

...Suddenly that alleged 300 mile range has dropped to 200. You therefore have to stop for a recharge - which takes an hour at least. You roll up to the service station and there's already a line in front of you for the charge points.

Not a problem Richard, you just need to pack something like this in your boot - a fossil fueled EV Mobile Charger. Don't leave home without one!

490366423_BlinkMobileCharger_0.jpg.491f949b4bfb8c2496346304337c65dc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1632756191_IsaoSono300ZXZ32s30thcompactwhitebg.jpg.927186fb96ce93f9d57642837cfd17d2.jpg

8 hours ago, RichardS said:

Me neither - and this could be the saving grace....

I mean, let's go back to basics. You decide to take a holiday in the UK using your car - you decide to head south-west in the summer (why not). It's a 300 mile trip and you have an electric car with a range of 300 miles at best. It's hot, so you have your AC on to keep cool - you have a family, so they want to use their i-Pads etc to watch movies, thus need to charge them. You have your mobile plugged in to keep that charged, just in case. You decide you want to make the most of your vacation, rather than waste it on the journey, so you drive a little faster....

...Suddenly that alleged 300 mile range has dropped to 200. You therefore have to stop for a recharge - which takes an hour at least. You roll up to the service station and there's already a line in front of you for the charge points. Make that three hours wasted.

Hell, if only someone would invent a car, which you could drive fast for a few hundred miles and then refuel in 5 minutes, before resuming your journey. A car which you could use in the hottest summer with the AC on full and not suffer from range anxiety......

Wait a moment, what do we have already....😁

That's why hydrogen fuel cells are the way forwards, rather than batteries. Hydrogen fills up in a couple of minutes from a pump and is about 300-400miles per tank. As an added bonus, due to the chemical reaction ( 2x H2 + O) the only thing out the back of the car is water! I'm all for electric cars, the more people have them, the less petrol used which means more for my Nissan! I'm looking at electric cars now for my daily, I like the idea of a Tesla or a polestar at the moment

• Like 1

1990 Black MT NA LWB = 2014 - 2020 (Sold)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2015 - 2017 (Stripped & Scrapped)

1991 Red MT TT LWB = 2017 - 2021 (Sold)

1991 Black MT TT LWB = 2018 - 2021 (Sold)

1989 Red AT TT LWB = 2021 - XXXX (Kept)

That's why hydrogen fuel cells are the way forwards, rather than batteries. Hydrogen fills up in a couple of minutes from a pump and is about 300-400miles per tank. As an added bonus, due to the chemical reaction ( 2x H2 + O) the only thing out the back of the car is water! I'm all for electric cars, the more people have them, the less petrol used which means more for my Nissan! I'm looking at electric cars now for my daily, I like the idea of a Tesla or a polestar at the moment

I remember thinking hydrogen was the best fuel of the future back in the mid 2000’s, because of those exact points you mentioned. With investment to the infrastructure, it would be the ideal solution. They started making Honda Civic hydrogen car prototypes and hydrogen stations in California or something like that, but never heard much development since that, over the last decade.

53 minutes ago, naz27 said:

I remember thinking hydrogen was the best fuel of the future back in the mid 2000’s, because of those exact points you mentioned. With investment to the infrastructure, it would be the ideal solution. They started making Honda Civic hydrogen car prototypes and hydrogen stations in California or something like that, but never heard much development since that, over the last decade.

I can remember things like that too but in the end innovation can get blocked by the big corporates as there is still plenty of cash left in the oil markets.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, naz27 said:

James may has bought a hydrogen car I think it was possibly last year or 2019, he said at the time the uk only has 4 hydrogen filling stations, all of them around London.

To expand Richards example, let’s say he took the scenic route along the coast. You’d be out of electric by the time you got to my place, good luck finding a charge point, there are some but not many... and the further west you go the greater that issue becomes. I have a rule, I don’t go to Cornwall without enough fuel to get back the idea of doing that as a day trip with an EV is laughable. 

• Like 2

James may has bought a hydrogen car I think it was possibly last year or 2019, he said at the time the uk only has 4 hydrogen filling stations, all of them around London.

That’s interesting - just had a quick google on that. He mentions there’s jack all hydrogen stations in the UK as you say, but in Germany or Japan there’s hundreds. He’s selling his due to the lack of stations - he’s getting too old for range anxiety .